Vegan Apple Hand Pies with Brown Butter (The Best Snowiest Sunday Ever and Granny Square Hat-Makin')

Being snow bound is the best. Baking when you're snow bound is even better. Not to be trite, but here's the skinny on the day's events: cozy warm fireplace, the dogs, me crocheting a granny square hat, husband reading, a pot of veggie soup on the stove simmering all day, a fresh-baked loaf of ciabatta bread to accompany said soup: yesterday had to be one of the bestest Sundays ever. Then I whipped up these hand pies for dessert, and I'm not ashamed to say, my Yankee-self cherished every snowy moment of it all. More snow please! And how about like two weeks of summer, then fall. 

There is really nothing to making these apple hand pies. It's an apple pie, only smaller.
I kicked up the filling flavor by tossing my apples and pecans in some browned vegan butter. Butter makes everything taste better.
Yum.
Pie dough circle shapes. I used my mom's four inch cutter.
Filling goes on top of bottom layer, another circle over the top, pinched with forks, brushed with soy creamer and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar blend, then baked at 400 degrees for thirty minutes. Enjoyed mightily while watching Top Chef Season Four on DVD. 



Peace.
Birds. I have a sanctuary of Cardinals--not the kind that vote for the pope either. Yes. I nearly froze to death sitting and waiting for these feisty ones to pose for me. Totally worth a few numb fingers and toes.
The finches aren't nearly as shy about my watching them. 
Home.
Meditation.
Nature.
I decided to crochet myself a granny square slouchy hat. I have four squares done, am working on the brim and top. I LOVE the colors! Will be working on this today. Then the dogs and I will hit the snow! More pics later. Peace out.



Comments

  1. Okay, I wouldn't have minded the foot plus of snow that hit us last week if my driveway cleaner upper hadn't just left on a two week trip to Texas. Bad, bad timing...

    Those hand pies look good! I am just starting to get into making them - I haven't tried a sweet version yet, but apple would have to be first on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! You have a driveway cleaner upper? Where can I get one because I was the one in the driveway. . . LOL! Thanks, Cher girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, snow. Sometimes I miss living in a snowy climate - except when I'm the driveway cleaner upper! Love these pies, as I love anything with apples and brown butter!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment