Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (My Favorite New Running App . . .which means more cookies for me!)

I wouldn't recommend anyone try baking these cookies while watching a presidential debate. Things got a little crazy--I had two trays of these going at once, setting the oven timer to remind me to switch the cookies sheets front-to-back, bottom-to-top--all while making dinner to boot. It was sheer madness in my kitchen. (Interspersed with bouts of screaming at the television.) However, these cookies suffered not. In fact, I'd say the chaos cookery I had going on may have enhanced the yum factor. Why so much at once? Well, for the husband, of course! Dr. Thyme requested something pumpkin be made to take to work the next day as there was to be a "pumpkin" food theme. Typically, I'd jump at the chance to bake cupcakes. But I've been on a cookie tear lately. And pumpkin ranks as high up there as chocolate for me. 

I could have done the pumpkin muffin or the pumpkin spice cake route, too, but this recipe spoke to me instead. So glad I tried it. The chewy plus crunchy, sweet and super sweet with spicy undertones really made for a, "I would totally make this cookie again" conclusion. And I did make this cookie again--last night. But under way less stressful circumstances. For the recipe head on down to the bottom of this post--because I'll be taking a detour to talk about running.

Fall is running season. I started running when I was 15. Track in spring. Cross-Country in fall. Running has been a part of my life for literally decades now. My natural inclination when the leaves start turning is to get in more running. As a result, this tends to work out nicely because as the days shorten, my craving for foods that demand an extra calorie or two be burned off seem to coincide. Lucky me.

I'd hit a rut with my running. I would run, but I wouldn't run as many days during the week as I typically knew I needed to run. I try to listen to my body when it comes to running. I try very hard also to prevent injury--so I am a huge proponent of warm-ups and cool downs and stretching, hydration and nutrition. I guess the point of this diversion on the topic of running is that I've found a new groove here in my running format and I like it very much. Just thought I'd share.

Running is my sanity saver. There is nothing else I've enjoyed as far as a workout or sport is concerned that has given me back so much in return. Seriously. I often wonder how long it will be before I can run no more, but the thought scares me so much, I become a fanatic about running, grab my shoes and go for a run. I don't ever imagine in my lifetime never running. I want to be eighty and still running.      

I am a creature of habit when it comes to running accessories. I just ordered my third pair of Mizuno Wave Creation shoes. (Not the Wave 13, but the Wave 12.) I have a stack of three pairs of these shoes in my closet now. Identical. The oldest pair is used for yard work. The second oldest pair is for light run/walks on the weekend and my brand spankin' new pair are for treadmill runs or running outside--(only if there is zero possibility of rain). I'm crazy like this when it comes to running shoes. Or maybe OCD. 

I recently began working out with the Easy 5K with Jeff Galloway App from lolo. I am quite capable of running a 5k. But there's running a 5k (3.1 miles) and there's running a 5k with a trainer coaching you. It's the ever competitive nature in me that finds I'm constantly trying to "improve" my best 5k time (28 minutes and some seconds). But that's been a few years ago now. And on the treadmill so far, I've crushed the 5k at 29 minutes and some seconds--okay, so "crushed" is maybe not the word for those of you who can run the 5k in 20 minutes, but for my age, the term "crushed" is apt. This in no way would reflect what I might be able to run in a street race. Because every runner knows, while treadmill running is good, it is not outside running. So to kick it up a notch, I wanted to try this Jeff Galloway app out. I LOVE it! Love, love, love it. It has a coaching program which gives you the flexibility to run at a pace perfect for the physical ability you feel you have for a given day--and challenge yourself if you feel up to it--plus bpm (beats per minute) music to accompany said ability. It's built around a run/walk program--which for me is good, because based upon the way I was taught to run and how I think about running--you just run--there is no "walking". Well, I have found with this app, it's okay to walk. It's actually really good to intersperse some walking with your run. As I said, this walk/run philosophy is new territory for me. And so far, after two weeks, I have found I've been feeling much better after my runs. And on my rest days (which he stresses--and that's a good thing because I can be a little obsessive about not running and then beat myself up over a missed run and turn a bit crabby as a result). You need the rest days: your muscles and knees and hips will thank you for it. 

So last week, after the warm up, the run transition was telling me to set my treadmill at 7.9! Hello! I was like, first of all, I don't know if my treadmill goes that fast. (It does.) Second of all, I've never run that fast on a machine before. I wasn't ready to then either. So I just told the app, taker her down a notch. And it did! Perfect. I ran at 6.4 with no problem for the interval. And the music bpm was adjusted accordingly. I heart the Galloway running app. He has several training app levels: 5k, 10k, Half Marathon and Marathon. I plan to work my way through the 5k and then begin the 10k. I don't have any plans to compete in any races right now. That could change. But I do want to improve my current running fitness. Already feeling better. 

Which brings me to this cookie. They are super food cookies in my opinion. Super good to eat before a run, super good to eat after a run. 

And during a walk, look what we came across. 


Okay. . . now I'm bored.
Tress. Colors. Sunrise.

Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 20-24 cookies--you can double the recipe for more cookies

*I preferred eating these cookies cold. You may like them at room temp. But the reason eating them cold works is because the chocolate chips regain their crunchy texture and coincide nicely with the chewy of the dried cranberries and also, after sitting in the fridge a bit, the spices really come through. So you might want to make this in the evening for consuming the next day. They'll be even better.

1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (*spoon the flour into the measuring cups, then level off)
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup instant oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted vegetable margerine at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons warm water (equiv. of 1 egg)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 can of Libby's pumpkin (8 oz. or 1 cup)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup pecan chips (*optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, add the flours, oats, spices, salt, baking powder, baking soda--whisk together and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a medium bowl with a hand blender, add the butter and sugars and beat until creamy. About a minute. Next, add the egg replacer and vanilla extract. Mix well--about another minute. Next, add the pumpkin and mix until incorporated. Add the flour mixture in thirds, mixing only one or two turns just until the dry ingredients are moistened. If you over mix, the cookies will be too chewy. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips and cranberries and nuts (if you are using). Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes--until the edge of the cookies begin to get a bit brown. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on pan for about three minutes, then remove to a cooling rack. After cookies have cooled completely, store in fridge in air tight container. I prefer these cookies served from the fridge vs. room temp. But you may like them the other way. Either way will work.  




Comments

  1. I miss running! I fractured a sesamoid in my right foot (while running) this summer, and am currently in a cast AND a walking boot. Ugh. Those cookies look delish though! I love pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about the foot! I have no idea what that word means or where exactly it is on the foot, but seriously would be in tears for the entire non-running time if it were me--and you are STILL in a cast, no less! I am sending "healing" karma your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting looking recipe with lots of yummy ingredients. I enjoy eating cookies cold (I've even eaten them frozen) because I do like chocolate chips cold rather than at room temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to run, but years ago my knees said no more. So I walk instead. Takes a lot longer to get the same benefit (and the aerobic benefit isn't really there - bicycle for that) but my knees sure do like me better! I don't believe I've ever had a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie. Really like the idea. And all of those spices are wonderful! Good stuff - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe. I was looking for something to make with the 1 cup of frozen pumpkin I had in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment