Crispy Jalapeno Rice Balls Over Spicy Three-Bean Chili (Sew. Bake. Dr. Who. Hike. Repeat.)

These little jewels made our little bowl of chili a great big winner in our hearts. I had very little in the reserve tank for cooking earlier last week. Just recently getting my strength back. (Even canceled guitar again as I did not want to risk exposing myself to "little people germs" just yet--and there are a lot of little people traipsing in and out of my lesson place, trust me). When the inclination for food finally found me--I headed right back in the kitchen (starving) and did what most normal recovering women might do: reach for the frying pan. This chili wasn't going down with the traditional food stuff (corn bread). I was thinking really spicy, crunchy. I had picked a boat load of jalapeno peppers that morning in the garden. (Still picking them. The only tried and true, drought-resistant veggie apparently.) Quite honestly these rice balls demand another meal pairing. They were that good. And simple. I'll forgo the usual recipe at the bottom of the post here and jump to the way these came about. Oh, and for chili--just use your favorite recipe. It matters not, just know that the crunch factor combined with a little bit of heat and the yummy must-have guacamole and viola. Dinner.

Here's how: first cook a cup of brown rice--used my rice cooker. (How I survived pre-rice cooker, I have no idea.) Then placed the cooked rice in a bowl, allowing to sit and cool for fifteen minutes or so. Dice a few jalapenos. Three worked for us. Dice a half red onion. Mince a few cloves of garlic. Add 1/4 cup or so of whatever type of bread crumbs you have on hand, 1/4 cup vegan mayo, 1/4 cup vegan cheddah. Some dried oregano, cilantro, cumin, turmeric, paprika, and S & P to taste. Add all this to the bowl and mix well with either your hand or a spoon. Actually using your hands works best. Keep mushing this all up until the mixture begins to hold a shape--small golf ball-sized worked for me. Place a plate of panko bread crumbs next to the shaped rice balls. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat with a bit of canola oil. Carefully roll the rice balls in the panko, then, using a pair of tongs, place the rice balls in the pan and cook until brown all over. Serve over your favorite chili, soup or with your favorite dip. Yum! 
Not only is it officially 'hiking' season here in St. Louis, it's also Dr.Who season! Dr. Thyme and I hiked our first hike in ages this morning! We went to Powder Valley which really is like a little carved out oasis in the middle of major traffic intersections here in St. Louis. Very lovely morning hike. E-a-r-l-y morning. (As in roll right out of bed and go!) No BIG pictures allowed.
 As for the other, I am a fairly new Whobie given I had never even heard of him up until sixteen years ago. I found a funky LONG striped scarf tucked away in one of Dr. Thyme's college boxes while cleaning closets one day. I was like, whoa: What a fun and really l-o-n-g scarf! I asked, So this is cool--where'd this come from? Dr. Who. I was like, Who? He said, Dr. Who. I said, What. . . Who is that? He said, OMG. It's a British TV show. Have you NEVER heard of Dr. WHO? Um.. .  And thus my introduction to The Doctor ensued. (Thanks to The Doctor, angel statues are not allowed in my garden. Or Daleks. They are off-limits as well.) 
On the mend and all, I have been going bonkers in the kitchen. Made these Peter Reinhart cinny buns last weekend. Loved them. Subbed GF flour and whole wheat for some of the regular AP flour. Worked like a charm.
Then started a new dress. . . Clearly, I'm not ready for Project Runway. 

But found this cute book at Jo Ann's. It's full of female icon dresses (patterns included!) The dress I am making is a Jackie dress. (As in that Jackie). Boat neck, high-waisted. Interfacing and darts and oh-my! We'll see how this turns out. Meantime, I just ordered a new sewing book: Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing. I have followed Gertie's blog for quite some time. Love it. Her blog inspires and delights. My new book arrives Tuesday. I hope to at least have my Jackie dress finished by then. We'll, um, see. Lest you think I've not been knitting. Evenings are reserved for such pleasures. (Because working around heavy machinery after three o'clock is never a good idea.)
Whipped up a batch of pumpkin donuts yesterday. Could. Not. Resist. King Arthur posted a recipe for these on Friday. Just in time for Saturday morning! I heart King Arthur. Of course I had to dip a few of mine in chocolate. Of course!







Comments

  1. Those rice balls look perfect. I could probably make them gluten free by using corn meal instead of the panko. I bet they're great on all kinds of hot saucy dishes. Great creation! The cinny buns and donuts look sweet and delicious as well. I'm really getting in the mood for Fall and baking and curling up in front of some good shows. Dr. Who is definitely on my list.

    Glad you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nikki! Thank you! And what a terrific GF alternative idea. I hope you give them a go, and I could not agree more--Fall is the absolute best (well, next to snow!). Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You most likely ran into my mother and her friend. Have been thinking about you the past couple of days - had some potatoes and carrots needing to be used up and made your Chick'n and Dumplings. Finishing off the last of it tonight. Must make more. So good!

    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daniela! Oh that is a hoot because there were TWO women walking in front of us--both wearing hats--towards the end of the hike. But they seemed a bit youngish--well, more MY age. And I cannot imagine I am old enough to be your mother! Okay, maybe I am? Such a small world, isn't it? I need to make that dish again--Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the recipe! Never thought of adding rice balls to chili - great idea. You wrote the recipe exactly the way I write recipes for myself (minimal details, measurements). And yes, our jalapenos are going great guns too (Swiss chard, as well). Everything else in the garden? Let's not talk about it. Fun post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi KR! Thank you! There is a real slim chance I'll never eat chili the "old" way again. But maybe that was the "starving-just-getting-over-virus" talking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those rice balls look/sound really yummy and perfect for chili or any other cold-weather type of stew!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment