Jam Sessions ("A Little Nina Simone Would Do You Good" And My Summer Drought Harvest)

When I heard the temps would be in the "dangerous/triple digits" range for an undetermined period of time, I made a mad dash to the store for provisions: canning jars, Bing cherries, Rainier cherries, plums, blueberries (two pounds each), sugar, lemons and chocolate. If things were going to get bad, really bad, I wanted: bread, homemade cherry plum jam, Pandora (my Nina Simone station!), chocolate and my favorite espresso--Lavazza. I pretty much lived off these things the past few weeks--give or take. 


The lack of rain, the intense heat, the cave dwelling, the near-dying-but-not-quite-ready-to-call-it-quit plants I am constantly worrying over--like a mother hen--is taking its toll. I am lucky I was able to get in one crazy five hour mega canning of the blueberry and cherry kind just before this ridiculous weather set in. I have been going through at least a jar of jam every other day. I don't know what it is, but the sound of the spoon hitting the side of the jar, the glob of luscious jam spilling out onto my rye bread toast first thing in the morning, sipping my espresso, sneaking in a brief moment of quiet time on the porch before the searing temps set in--bracing myself for the rest of the day--this little jar of jam makes me smile. 

By mid-day, it's time for music. Nina Simone has been my go-to respite. There is only one other female jazz artist I think ranks with Ms. Simone--and that would be Shirley Horn (in my humble opinion). I require music to live. If you're unfamiliar, might I suggest Pandora for your listening pleasure. Seriously. Go there now and listen.

I've been making great strides with the guitar. By great strides, I mean, I have moved from playing first position to now playing (and memorizing the notes for!) second position--better known as D Major Scale. I didn't think I'd make it through these lessons. My instructor told me: If you get this--you'll be half past where most people give up. To my ears this was more of a challenge than a typical homework lesson. I was NOT going to be undone by a little shift of "guitar positions". And so we sat on the same page of the same song with the same notes for over three weeks before I felt we could "move on". Let's just say Dr.Thyme declared both Angels We Have Heard on High and Joy to the World--off limits this December. They're just referred to as "those songs" now. Um. Okay.
Weighing the plums--went into the jam with the cherries.
The ready-for-filling jars.
The jam cooling on the porch in the morning sun.
This morning--my tomato harvest. Un-believable. I couldn't get a red tomato off the vine last summer to save my you-know-what. 

Here we are in the WORST DROUGHT since the Dust Bowl (and here's a link to the Drought Monitor website--we are in the "severe" drought category in Missouri right now)--and the tomatoes seem to be doing better than last year.
 Just looking at the rest of the landscape around me is enough to make me cry. And I have cried. I try to limit my watering to the plants that I feel have a "chance" at making it--even though several plants/trees and bushes have begun to die--or are leaf dropping. They are stressed, they've got to call it a year and resort to their "winter" selves. This is a devastating thing to witness. I've not got the words to tell you how much angst this whole thing has caused me. I have no idea whether or not they'll make it through the winter. The time and energy I have put into my garden. . . well, it just is too much to think about right now. It's the optimist in me that thinks they'll all "return" next spring. There's no way of telling. If the rains came now, we'd maybe be spared. But it needs to rain for a week. I am just crushed.   

Meantime, I have some of the best looking tomatoes I've ever grown. Go figure. There will be some canning soon. Or not. Maybe just really awesome pasta with the day's garden grub.
Apple Cucumbers. Never heard of them before. Found some seeds this spring at a local nursery. Liked the picture on the seed packet, planted them and look at these things--they LOVE it! I have to come up with a plan because I am going to be apple-cucumber-crazy here soon. 
Apple cucumber vines.

My zinnia seeds are finally flowering. (A rabbit or two has been making their home in the garden--seemed to love my zinnias.) I knew it'd be a matter of time before said "bunnies" were part of another food chain and that seems to be where we're at right now as evidenced by the flowers making it to maturity. Sorry bunnies. 




Comments

  1. Hey Kelly!!

    That is super cool that you are learning to play guitar. I have always wanted to play piano...maybe I will look into it. You have inspired me :)

    We don't seem to get the same heat waves you get I think the hottest day so far this summer is 26....but I do know about drought! Our well runs dry towards the end of the summer. Which means bathing in the ocean. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirsten! I bet you'd love the piano--just as much as I've loved learning the guitar. And, remember, I am QUITE a bit older than you. Quite. So go for it, I say! Canada is sounding better and better as we endure these horrible days of this summer. I hope you and the kids and hubby are well and thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah your words and pictures are making me crave jam, seriously! Now that we are in the 90s it feels positively fall-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kelly... at least you have your jam and your music I guess. Have you gotten any of the recent rains? It's been a little better around here, but nothing like the monsoon season we used to get. According to that drought map (thanks for the link!)Colorado is still in very bad shape, even with our recent rains. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nupur! Thank you and heaven's yes--make some jam for yourself! And isn't that sad--in nineties, we feel it "cooling". I am just through with this summer. I hope the little one is doing lovely!

    Hi TWV Girl! Unfortunately, we have NOT been getting those rains. Oh, wait, we had a few storms that whipped past us this weekend--my rain gauge said it measured 1/4". When I found that drought map, I was stunned at all the "red" areas. It certainly makes you pause and reflect. I'm so happy things are improving for you a bit out in CO. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I meant "passed" us by! What is wrong with me?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of these days I should can - it' something I've never done. My wife is a jam fanatic, so she'd love some homemade, I'm sure. Our tomatoes are doing well, too. They did so miserably last year apparently because when they were blossoming and getting ready to set fruit, the temperature was consistently over 95 degrees (and they won't fruit above that temperature). Our ripe tomatoes are orangey rather than red, too - again, according to the Internet - this has something to do with heat (when it gets too hot, they won't turn fully red, just orange). Any of this true? Who knows?! But it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly! Glad to see you are coping pretty well, considering the extreme heat. Gotta love jam and bread! And this jam looks super delicious! I'm hoping for rain here, too. We've been in the triple digits all week and the forecast says we just might get rain tomorrow!

    I found the knitting book that you recommended at my library. I'm psyching myself up to attempt knitting that bolero!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi KR! Yes, by all means, do get some canning in! I had to literally squeeze mine in all in one night--got sixteen pints. I hope to can again this weekend. Yes--you are correct about the temps. affecting the ripening of the tomatoes. Have you noticed the same with your peppers? The reason for their production is tied to the temps. as well--anything over ninety pretty much halts a lot of the ripening, development of fruit. I've picked a ton of jalapeno peppers though. Thanks for stopping by and hope you have a great day!

    Hi Jeanne! Bleh! It's just awful--but cope we must. (I know I sound like a "whiny baby". . . and I am!)I hope things cool off for you soon! Oh, I am so happy you found Stephanie's book. She also has online tutorials through "Craftsy"--(I think I have the name right). You CAN make that bolero--I promise! I can't wait to see your knitting--will you post updates? Fall is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah. I totally admire your dedication to the garden. We had to let ours go because of the weather. It makes me so sad to see our empty patch! Thank you for sharing your lovely greens though. I wish I could come over to sample some of those tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Monet! Thank you so much! I am not ready to let go--but there have been moments. Things are just so parched. I hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a hard year for vegetable gardens, here, too. It was unseasonably rainy and cold for almost the entire month of June and that segued right into a heatwave for all of July, so far. Adding in some marauding squirrels and a very rude cate, I'm happy to have as many healthy plants as I've got this year. I'd really like to get some canning done this summer - your photos are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi OWF! I am sorry to hear you all are experiencing the same with this summer heat. I would give anything for some rain--even COLD right now. I am hoping for an October snow. I am glad some of your plants are at least making it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you're getting some good harvests from your garden despite the temps. That's great! I'm still waiting for my first red tomato. I have lots of green ones, so I'm hopeful. I'm in Indy, so it looks like we're in the Extreme zone for the drought. The sky has been taunting us for a week. It looks like it's going to rain, and then it sputters a few drops out and stops. It's heart-breaking. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment