Not Ready to Say Good-bye. . . Again

I have been here before. The longer naps during the day. The slightly less-than-normal appetitie. (No diving head-first into the bowl!). The changing of food to increase interest in the least little bit of kibbles. The on the floor with bits of food in my palm, making "Yum" sounds and pretending to eat it myself. Once we get started, then the full cleaning of the plate eventually happens. And I sigh a big sigh of relief. It's gradual, this change. But once the pendulum swings, you prepare.   

It's too soon. Yes. He's a "senior" dog. How senior is anyone's guess. Maybe thirteen-fourteen? Maybe older. That is the pain of rescue. That is the joy of rescue. The whole second chance thing. The unknown becoming the known. He's here in these photos in two poses. One ear is always flipped up. One is always flipped down. Don't know why. It just always has.

Since I've been here before, I know the signs. It's not like Maggie was--he shows no signs of distress. Everything else is running as usual. It's just that it's all sort of slowed down. Dr. Thyme says: Hey when you get old, food doesn't taste as good--just let him eat at his own pace. And I do. I wait. I offer small changes to the menu designed to make the whole experience of eating a feast of some kind. Something special. Every time. We have our "breakfast of champions" moment on the floor now. (Wasn't I just here in May?) And dinner sometimes, too. His sister looks on with a knowing stare. She's been here before, too. She knows. She is very patient. Eventually, he eats all his breakfast, or dinner. Gets the You Are Such A Good Boy! pats and outside we go. He's so smart.
He won my heart over big time. . . years ago. Years. Such a ham. I'd walk the few dogs I could when I had the stomach to handle the place where they house strays. I didn't last long there. But long enough to know that humanity has some serious cleaning up to do with regard to its "disposable" society attitude toward canines. Don't get me started. 

He'd lean against his cage. He'd give me the big ole' sad eyes. I'd leash him up. Walk outside. Stand there looking at the building and feel the big knot in my stomach telling me how wrong this is. How very wrong. We'd hang outside for a bit. He'd lean against my leg. Then give a roll over on the belly for extra effect. This was his "socializing" time. He seemed quite social. A little scrappy. But they are all a little scrappy after being "taken in".

It'd nearly killed me. But I'd say, You'll get a home--I promise! And then leave, checking with the in-take staff to make sure they NOT do a thing to him. To promise, promise they'd keep him as long as they could. My house was full--I couldn't take another. Just couldn't. Then, one day, I came in. I was called over to the "One in Charge of All Things Lethal" and told: Your friend's time is up. . . Do you have a foster plan? Oh god. And I said, Yes, I do. And in the car we went. Home. And that's where he's been ever since. Home.

We'd never had a boy dog before. He broke the boy barrier. He is our Good Boy. What he is is a mix of the best. Some Pry mixed with maybe some Spaniel and possibly some Border Collie. Who knows!

He never leaves my side. The minute I move--he moves. Unless Dr. Thyme is home and then, he sort of settles in with that. The Ultimate Protector is home. Now he can take a break.

He and his sissy are best buds now. This didn't come easy after Maggie left. She sort of was the ring leader, if you will. Kept watch over the youngins'.
  
After saying good-bye to Maggie Mae, I began a search. Three was where the pack needed to be. Three. Now with the two, the dynamic had changed. The whole house had changed. Every week. Sometimes twice a week: I look for her. I look for a new sister for them both--to set right again: The Three Amigos. It's sort of become an obsession. I know the face I want to see. I know the patches of carmel on the top of the head I miss. I know the gaze, the size--I just know. This watching and reading the posts on Pyrs needing homes has become a regular pastime. Maybe to prove to myself there will never be another Maggie Mae. I even watch for puppies. Especially puppies. I'd love at least a full fifteen years this time around--to go into my Almost Seventy! years with me. (Life expectancy can vary for Pyrs--for people, too!) Would love to have a bigger part to play in their life, to take one very young--to show them a full, loving life right from the start.

I just haven't seen The One yet. Maybe never will. And now, I'm fearful that bringing another in would be unfair to him. So I just read these posts for now. Send out positive prayers for each and every one, then look at my kids and tell them: You DO know how much mommy loves you, don't you? You Do know how lucky you are, don't you?

I've had to grow old along with him. My childbearing years were spent on dogs. (And have no regrets whatsoever over doing so!) He was one of them. One of lots of them.

And I've moved beyond the need to "participate" in any group(s) affiliated with rescues and what have you. I don't have the same tolerance for the "political" goings on and. . . the egos. I applaud most of the groups out there for their efforts in finding homes for these kiddos. At Almost Fifty, your view of the world changes. Priorities do, too. My personal beliefs are well, more personal. No proving anything to anyone. I simply know that whatever the circumstance in our lives, we will never live without our best friends. I cannot imagine a world without them--without more than one of them. Ever.   

So we are here again.  


Comments

  1. I heart you!

    I'm currently spending my childbearing years on my dogs, as many as I can squeeze in (although we have an elderly gal who has put her paw down and said "No More!", so we're not adding any newbies to our pack just now).

    I'm sorry that you're starting to see the changes in your Good Boy. The hardest part about having these wonderful beings in our lives is having to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Good Boy has been slowing down for about 2 years now. The only reason I think he eats is to keep the Young One from eating it, lol. I hope your Good Boy gets another 2 also. Your dogs are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Barb--thank you so much! I heart your story, too! A good thing to hear that I am not alone. Maggie was the one who'd "put up" with the herd, but our boy, not so much--he's a ham and likes being that way--center of attention. Laughing at the "putting the paw down!"--I will never tell the "total paw count" we had at one time. Only the closest of friends knew. . . and the city (because of the kennel license we HAD to get). Well, I just needed to write about him. I appreciate your note.

    Hi veganhomemaker! Thanks as always! It is so good to hear that your Good Boy is still there for you. I actually remembered your story about him. Would you not agree that the older they get, the MORE personality tends to emerge? Sometimes, I'm like, Where did THAT come from?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful post.
    it's sad that there is any important conflict in rescue/animal groups.
    we are all working toward the same goals and i actually really appreciate that it is one place that the rest of our, unimportant, temporary beliefs, can just fade away. even though i am a sassy girl online, i am pretty softspoken in any groups i have particpated in. we are all working for the same goals and it seems ridiculous to have such conflict within. i have seen it in the ar goups where everyone is lefty and the dog rescue where it seems righty and even within lefty & righty, so much discension. understand where you are coming from, kind of! it's important to focus on what we, as animal lovers have in common. and your post is a reflection of a common thread that we each share. thank you for being such a beautiful soul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such touching words and lessons about love! I'm sorry that you have to go through this again so soon, Kelly, but I will send healing energy toward you and your Good Boy. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how hard it was for me when I realized Pete was slowing down. But you know, his slow guy period lasted a really long time and I eventually learned to stop worry about it and just enjoy the wisdom and calm energy that comes with an older dog. Was it the same as when he was young? No, but he was content and therefore I learned to be too. Does that make sense? And I have never even considered spending my childbearing years having children - not human ones at least! Not for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry he's slowing down. I hope it's a long, long time before you have to say good-bye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Friends! All your comments touch my heart--thank you so much! You are my Food Friends Forever (FFF's)!

    GSGV--Lovely note you wrote and thank you. You are so right about the "AR Group" mentality. It is, in the end, all about the "kiddos".

    Jeanne--Thank you for the kind words and please, keep the positive energy coming! I am so glad we've learned the lessons we've had to learn along the way as we approach these life changing moments.

    Trixie--I remember the story you told of Pete. He was your special boy and I could completely relate. I know that this slow time could last a while--and we will have good days and not-so-good days. I am ready for them, but just not looking forward to them. Especially after the year we've had. Enough already! Amen to that "childbearing" stuff! Thanks again--your note was kind and yes, it makes perfect sense.

    Hi Bonnie--Thank you--you are so kind. Oh he is quite the fighter. He can and does, hold his own pretty well. But I guess I am just not quite ready for this to happen all over again. It is too soon. We make every single day special (not that we didn't before)--but maybe even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm at the exact same place you are right now and have been there many times before also so I can fully relate. My Dixie is 12 and I wake up every morning and look to see if she is still breathing. Granted 12 is not that old but she was only supposed to live to be about 6 with her bad heart. Nobody would adopt her when that was disclosed so she was the foster (brought home the day the animal control officer at the shelter said it was her last) that never left. Just always remember our lives are all the richer for having known them and we were the lucky ones who were chosen to share it with them. That is something that can never be taken away.

    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Daniela--Thank you so much for this note. I am so happy you shared this with me. These are the things that help make the journey a bit better--the knowing you have other like-minded folks out there, going through the same thing, holding the paws in our hands, doing the "checking"--I can relate to it all. Your story about the fostering, you are a saint. I will keep Dixie Girl in my thoughts. And you are sooo right--it can never be taken away--this sharing we do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment