Vegan Chicken Pot Pie: Carla's Top Chef Recipe (Insert "Social Break" Here And Veggie Seedling Growing Update)

We are huge Top Chef fans around here. Huge. (Not that it's the most vegan friendly cooking show around, but can you name ONE that is?) Vegan or not, I am always on the lookout for something yummy to vegan-ize. Two weeks ago Carla's Chicken Pot Pie won. I knew immediately that this dish would soon make an appearance at our dinner table. It did. And I can say with absolute certainty that it is hands down THE BEST darn chicken pot pie. Ever. I won't re-live the episode for you. The link takes you right to the site where you can download the recipe--worth the watch, too, if you have a moment. Obviously, I subbed the chicken. I used Gardein Chicken. I heart the Gardein. Also, I added wild rice. The rice imparted a nice, nutty flavor. As far as any other vegan subs, the usual suspects: Earth Balance for butter, unsweetened soy milk. You get the picture.
What sets this pot pie apart from your traditional Mom Pot Pie is that that whole "soggy bottom pie crust stuff" is so yesterday. Instead, Carla's version is covered in an adorable cloche, baked separately, then used to "cover" the pot pie  imparting this incredible, edible, flaky, down-home crust that will just make you cry.  
I made four cloches and place one on the bottom of each bowl, then topped with the pot pie filling, then topped it AGAIN with the cloche--Carla's method. Adorable and brilliant so with each bite of the pot pie, you'll have this amazing crust stuff happening. Being the pastry addict I am, I could have made a meal out of the crust and sacrificed the whole veggie filling.

It's been a long, hard, miserable winter here. Last week, temperatures reached into the upper seventies. Unheard of for mid-February. As a result, I was shackled to my garden all three days, cramming in as much as I could, playing in the dirt like it was mid-April, then spent another two days recovering from the back-breaking raking, digging and pruning I'd done in my frenzy (thank god for ibuprofen--three at a time!). Plus I cleaned out the garage, gave the cars a bath, then had to take my car into the shop, then life happens and so on. 

This past week, in my world away from right here in front of my screen, I had a lot of time to reflect on my priorities: husband, dogs (aka: kids), cooking, gardening, running, walking-- family and friends. (They know who they are.) And my blog. For the last week or so, life has moved at such a fast clip--once the weather warmed up, my running shoes were on, miles were run, garden calling me--the next thing I knew, my laptop hadn't even been turned on for three whole days. . . no blogging, no emailing and. . . wonder of wonders, the world kept on going! (I'm sure when spring fever hits your neck of the woods, I won't be alone in this need to be OUTSIDE!) 

I am not someone who finds this all-connected, all-the-time world the best thing since sliced bread. I just don't. I do love the opportunity to share, when time allows, a gift of a recipe or silly commentary now and again. I don't find myself in the FB camp either. I feel this is a generational thing. Or a reflection of how hard it was for me to make it through high school, why would I want to do THAT again?!

My age may have something to do with this. The friends I have know who they are and can call me anytime to ask how I am doing as I will do with them. But don't expect to find out that I just got back from the store (or anything else mundane like that for that matter)--by clicking in this blog. My close friends (and family) know this creepy caution I have toward FB. (Even more so after seeing the movie, Social Network). Whoa. I went into that world and was quickly taken aback by the super sticky notion people have of wanting to "friend" you. I am not someone who "friends" easily.   

I keep an anonymous profile out here via my blog. I've seen profiles that give away everything but their blood type. (Though I am very certain if I needed a transfusion, and all other avenues failed me, perhaps a "call for donor" action may be in order and I may reluctantly have to enlist a FB request. But let's pray not.) A few readers know my full name, may know my husband (then may know me through this because he likes to point folks he meets to my foodiness), but, again, you won't find my entire life in my "Profile or About Me" section. In fact, I think My Profile stuff is really boring. I have documented just about everything I felt was worthy of mention via my blog. Some stuff quite personal, and yes, maybe boring, too. But I considered it part of my ongoing journal. Even though I keep a written journal as well. Keeps the handwriting sharp.

 I feel like a hypocrite saying so, but truth be told, I think as I'm getting older, and the life line I was graced with (both parents now gone)--I feel the pull of life "outside" and "away" from this screen stronger than the pull to sit in front of it reading mind numbing amounts of irrelevant information. "Recipe cruising" or food research excluded! Though I suppose for some, that in itself may seem "mind numbing". Regardless, I feel like folks my age are probably in more of a camp of maybe a little less IS more

I love the friends I've met through my blog. At least I can look back and fondly remember my Almost Fifty years, plus those who've shared it with me and thank them. And let them know, I really do enjoy you all. I have polite followers and I count myself lucky. More so than I'd imagine I'd find meeting through FB. Why? Well, I figure if I am worthy enough of you to cruise into this little written space I've carved out here, and you've found that taking a moment or two out of your day to share it with me, the least I could do is to try not to waste your time. And visa, versa when I step into read other bloggers. (Though some folks say bloggers are migrating away from blogging in favor of pithy FB updates. This saddens me greatly. Some of my favorite reading time is spent in blogs. NOT in FB updates.)

My blogging may be somewhat erratic in the days to come. Look at the temperature in St. Louis--if the weather calls for sun and upper seventies, chances are, my laptop is collecting dust, but my gadening tools are not. If the weather is cloudy and icky, I may be curled up with dogs at my feet sipping hot chocolate and reading a good book.

I have my little tomato seedlings to share with you this morning. I haven't the slightest idea how I am doing so far. Every morning I turn the light on the little punkins' and every night, I tuck them to bed. My fingers are crossed that the time and light bulb energy I've expended these past three weeks will not be a total waste, that I'll at least be able to save and transplant, well, maybe four tomato plants. I'd be happy with four. I really would. 
    








Comments

  1. Hi Kelly, I couldn't agree with you more. I do not have a FB page and I never will.(never say never?) My husband and I joke that FB is evil. The reason I don't blog myself is I would be sitting in front of the computer all day. I am not a talented writer and when I do write I am painstakingly slow. I will look forward to your blog entries no matter how far apart they may be.
    Oh, and of course I will be making that beautiful looking pot pie. I can't wait!
    Your seedlings look great and I think your going to get a lot more than four:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad I at least get to read your blog. You have great recipes. I wonder if I can convince Ryan with this pot pie. It looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, veganhomemaker! I appreciate the note! It has always been a pleasure to read your comments. I am also very slow at times, and perhaps this contributes to my somewhat slow-or-no-show postings. It takes quite a chunk of time to write, edit, re-write and post--and when the days are finally nice here, I really do not want to be in front of my computer (life is too short and my yard is too big!). Not whining or anything! LOL! So, thank you very much!

    Hi Noelle! Thank you also for your kind note! I would love to hear how this recipe works if you give it a go--we truly LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so with you on the facebook thing- and yes, I love having a life outside of the Internet too. The pot pie looks soo good. I recently (finally) learned to make good pie crust and now I want to put it on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get you, girl! I guess it's all about balance for me ... I take it all with a grain of salt for sure! Okay, I, too LOVE Top Chef and Carla's pot pie definitely had my mouth watering. Nice job on it!!! Hoody hoo! : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment