Basque Potato Tortilla (a.k.a. Red Neck Vegan Tater Hash): French Fridays with Dorie

Nine eggs. NINE?! I screamed this over the phone to my husband as I ran to the store grabbing our food stuffs in the wake of this last two-inch state-of-emergecny snow we had--fearful we'd be "trapped" for a week and I'd be facing Thursday night, Dorie-less. "For crying out loud, it's a quiche we're making!" Husband is now silent as my diatribe calms down. To be quite honest, I am not much of a planner and had not even opened the book to this next recipe yet. I like to be surprised. Nothing like a nine-egger to throw you a curve. I vaguely recalled there being some potato thingy coming up in the French Friday cookbook--but the egg thing, not so much. Checklist in hand, I asked my DH to please finish reading me the ingredients so I'd be sure to have all I needed to re-create Dorie vegan. Oh please, potatoes and onions? I'm getting a little fed up with the French here or I am having one heck of a PMS bout (I think it's the latter). I can only say that for the American diet crisis we are in, using nine eggs in anything these days may get you put on a list of "Most Dangerous to Your Health Food Blogs" to follow. To her credit, Dorie does suggest that were you to make this, a serving option might be to cut this up into little squares and serve it from a toothpick--appetizer-like. Uh, okay.

I opted to make a "crust" of sauteed mushrooms, two shredded parsnips, some diced red pepper and about six crumbled crackers. I pressed this into my cast iron skillet--one that had been used to cook my onions and taters in, THEN, wiped clean (per Dorie--but I think this was to keep the Million Egg March from sticking), then put my cooked stuff back on top, set it in the oven for about 20 minutes to bake, then broiled it for another minute to give it a little of that browned and baked look, then served on a plate with a side of ketchup and dallop of my fave vegan sour cream and just a drip or two of hot sauce: Red Neck Vegan Tater Hash.

I am not going to wander much further down the rabbit hole with this post. I suppose there will be some smart vegan cook who will offer, "Why not use tofu, or cashew cream in lieu of the eggs?" A) I am not a fan of tofu. I sort of hate it actually. B) Not a fan of cashew cream either. I do love the cashew, just not in the cream style. (Sort of like creamed corn. It's wrong is all.) For more of the nine-eggers, please visit: French Fridays with Dorie. Next week looks to be a lot less egg-y. Thank. God.
Taters and onions, bit of rosemary and garlic, too--in a cast iron skillet cooked until you get this nice and brown with carmel-y pieces. I like to snack on those carmel-y pieces as I cook, so I have to keep turning this over to make more brown, carmel-y pieces.
Layer of parsnip, mushrooms and red pepper first, then layer of cooked taters and onions topped with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast and some vegan cheeses.
See y'all next Friday.








Comments

  1. WOW I don't blame you, but you should try the vegan omelets, they are delicious and you would harldy know they are tofu! I think your dish looks and sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay: Vegan Red Neck Tater Hash. That is just a genius name. I think yours looks more tasty than the original to be honest. Cracks me up that you don't like tofu - here I am eating meat again and I love it. Just had it for dinner last night, lol. Nice job again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love parsnips, what a great idea to include them. I think yours looks great, I love the idea of an eggless version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Noelle! Oh, dear, you are too kind! I really dislike the tofu. Wish I could change that. I try hiding it whenever I can. Been a few attempts at it, but still not a fan.

    Hi Cher! I'm glad.

    Hi Trixie Girl! I really struggled here on even attempting this dish--but overall, it sufficed as a dinner "item"--but not going on the rotation list anytime soon. (Girl, I remember your meat-less days. Seems like it was yesterday!--Your cooking still rocks!)

    Hi Ms. Hobby! I really didn't decide on the parsnips until the very last minute--they were staring at me from the bottom of my veggie drawer, begging to be used. They surprised me. Many thanks for your note and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly, your whole post just cracked me up...you have such a nice style of writing...probably my favorite FFwD post today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wonder how you would handle this one! I think it looks quite tasty. (Though I would prefer tofu to the vegan cheese.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lizzy! Thanks so much--glad you laughed! I was laughing while I took the pictures doubting anyone would find this as funny as my husband did when I served it for dinner!!! Your comment made my day!

    Hi Ronda! Thanks so much! I know, the "tofu" might have worked, but seriously, it would have never made it to my mouth for tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a delicious alternative to the eggy version - really funny post, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can definitely imagine this recipe would have stressed any vegan out!! You did a beautiful job changing it up, looks soooo good!!!
    Take care,
    Terra
    www.cafeterrablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one tasty looking tortilla! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Girl on Raw: Thanks so much!

    Hi Onewetfoot: Thank you so much and glad I could get a laugh!

    Hi Terra! I am ALWAYS stressed out in the kitchen, more so with this French stuff--thanks for your note!

    Hi Raw_Girl: Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smile. I don't like tofu either...and I think you did a great job with this challenge. I'm all about the Red Neck Tater hash :-) Thank you for sharing, my blogging friend! I'm sending you wishes for a happy and delicious week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to love tofu when I was younger, but now, no thank you. Cashew cream, however, is one of my all time favorites! I love it in salad dressings, mac and cheese, smoothies, so tasty. And is that daiya cheese I spy? Love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Monet! Thanks dear! Glad to hear I am in good company with my no-tofu-for-me world!

    Hi peasporridgepdx! Yes, that is Daiya cheese! We keep it on hand constantly! I can handle a bit of the cashew stuff, but it has to be pretty well hidden! Thanks for the note!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment