Vegan Gnocchi a' la Parisienne: French Fridays with Dorie, Y'all!

I counted down the days to last night's French Fridays with Dorie cooking selection: vegan gnocchi. I'll be honest, this was a nail biter. Did I have the chops to pull it off? I needed to substitute butter, eggs, cheese AND whole milk. Each ingredient a French cooking mainstay. Each ingredient, a vegan cook's worst nightmare--especially when the ingredients ARE the recipe! However, chefs around the world have combined these simple (dare I say "peasant-like") ingredients to make the seemingly mundane into something to behold. Now the question was: Could I? See for yourself. I was so darn proud when this came out of the oven, I nearly cried. I spent the whole day speaking with a French accent and channeling Julia--I had even considered donning a French maid's outfit, feather duster and all--but didn't. My ego got such a boost from this reecipe, I think I'm ready to conquer vegan puff pastry. . . from scratch!

My biggest challenge in making this dish was Mr. Egg and Mr. Cheese. The ultimate fear factor in vegandom for me has always been eggs. I had a few options for my vegan spin in the egg department. I finally landed on whipped silken tofu as my egg substitute. I felt that was my safest bet--turns out I was right. There was more hand wringing, however: whole milk. The milk substitute decision was the one that was forced upon me when I reached into the deep recesses of the fridge for my unsweetened soy milk only to find there was maybe. . . a half cup left! Oh no the Gremlins strike again! Fear not. I always have pantry staples (in case the end of the world happens) and happened to have unsweetened almond milk--the kind that comes in the box, and better yet, it hadn't expired. After tasting the bechamel sauce made with the almond milk, I realized I had never made it better--even in my non-vegan days.
This is the gnocchi dough being given a final stir before adding the Mr. Non-Egg. Creating this dish I realize now, in my very short tenure as a French cook, the importance of flour: when to add, how to add, when to stir, whisk or not.
Then Vita-mixed silken tofu whipped up good as the substitute for Mr. Egg.
The incorporation of said egg into said dough. Everything looks okay so far. No tears yet.
I then placed the dough in a glass bowl and covered it with a towel to let it rest for about three hours. Dorie said this was what the woman who gave her this recipe did (Tante Leo), so I did it, too.
Then, I reached waaay back into the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink-drawer to find something I bought last year with every intention of making homemade gnocchi to find my $10 gnocchi board! Dorie does not call for the use of this in her recipe for shaping the gnocchi, but since I'd spent the money. . . see, I was meant to make AND love gnocchi!
The gnocchi after the board step. Cute, cute, cute!
The end. I found myself back in the kitchen to lick, I mean, clean the dish up of its last bits of baked yum! The gnocchi has earned a spot in my vegan cooking rotation! We loved it!
My vegan substitutions were:
-Silken tofu in place of eggs
-unsalted vegetable margerine in place of butter
-unsweetened almond milk in place of whole milk
-vegan cheddar cheese in place of other cheese mentioned in Dorie's recipe, plus I added a sprinkle of the vegan's best friend: nutritional yeast or as we vegans affectionately call it, "nutch" and some vegan parmesan





















Comments

  1. Wow mon amie, it looks so gourmet. Congrats on your vegan substitutions. I think it is very exciting to create something by making it your own. It IS possible to use all animal free products and you have totally shown us here. Thanks friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly way to change this recipe up to fit your lifestyle. I really enjoyed it.I'll be checking back often. B:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niiiiccceee!!! These are much, much better formed than mine, I can tell you that! You did just an amazing job with this. You HAVE to email this link to Sanjana at KO Rasoi - she is looking for an eggless gnocchi recipe. If you don't I will! Brilllant, ma chere - tres brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Noelle dear! Well, thank you very much! I was really sweating this one, trust me. But it was as delish meal in the end.

    Hi Beth! Thank you look forward to hearing from you!

    Hey Trixie Girl! Thanks so much girl--coming from you, I am quite honored and humbled! (I still say you are the Gnocchi Queen!) I swear to goodness, it took me a full week to finally come to my decision on ingredients. Whew. Glad that's over! But it was sooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I would never have thought it was possible! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Beautiful dish - I just love your gnocchi board, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kelly, that Gnocci looks beautiful. I have never attempted to make it, it looks intimidating. But if I did I would definitely want to use your recipe. I guess I need to buy Dorie's book first, I'll add that to my list(my amazon wish list is 5 pages long).
    I wanted to let you know I made your Good Burgers the other day and they were awesome. My hubby loved them too. I've been eating the left overs on toasted sour dough bread with earth balance for breakfast, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow lady! You impress me! Combining two of my favorite things: vegan food and French culture and hitting it out of the park right off the bat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ronda! Thanks so much and believe me, I didn't think it would be possible either!

    Hi Jessica of My Baking Heart! Thanks so much! I got that little board and at the time swore I would run right home and make gnocchi. Here we are nearly a year later. . . money well spent!

    Hi veganhomemaker! Okay, so NOTHING in the world makes me happier than to know a shared recipe made someone else happy--you made my day! (Again!) No way is your Amazon list that long--we need to take you shopping! Yum, toasted sourdough bread--that sounds really good right now.

    Hi Steph! Thanks so much! You could have mastered this, trust me (vegan-to-vegan). I just need to get my head around the incredible number of eggs called for in nearly ALL French cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, your gnocchi are beautiful! I made gnocchi once, over a year ago (recipe from The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein). Mine weren't so beautiful, but I used the tines of a fork. It was a time-consuming process! Now I am lazy and buy pre-made gnocchi that you just pop in boiling water for 3 minutes!

    That creamy bubbly sauce has my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh how I love gnocchi! Homemade is deffinately the best kind, although if your making it for more than 2 I think you deffinately need a helper :) The toppping sauce looks amazing.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi veganspoonful.com! Thanks! I have a Donna Klein cookbook, Supermarket Vegan and I like it (lacks photos). I have picked up that other cookbook and put it back many times--she is a great vegan cook. And yes, making gnocchi is not a 30-minute meal by any means. It took half an hour just to roll the little pumpkins! I'd go lazy next time, too--you are not alone!

    Hi Rose! My favorite part of this dish WAS the sauce--we will be modifying it for a mac and cheese dish sometime in the future! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a vegan queen! I would have been so intimidated when I thought about having to substitute so many ingredients...but you pulled it off beautifully! Your gnocchi looked so adorable, and I'm sure that your dish tasted even better! Thank you so much for sharing. May your Sunday burst forth with joy and love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Monet! Dear friend, thank you so much for the lovely note--you are always so kind! I AM intimidated by ALL French cooking, but try really hard to overcome my fears (daunting as they may be!) Great Sunday to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done! I was going to try and make this vegan, but I was daunted by the pate a choux. Then I thought I'd substitute the cream for cashew creme, but opted to make the dish as, and a second dish of vegan mac and cheese. Your success is inspiring me to go back and give this recipe a vegan try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi peaseporridgepdx! What a great idea! I have used cashew cream for many other sauces before but I find when I bake anything in it, I am not usually happy with the outcome (too thick). This bechamel sauce was superb! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am pretty impressed that you made this vegan. Well done. Love the gnocchi board!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cher! Thanks so much and I impressed myself on this one--I was nervous as heck attempting it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job - it looks perfect. I think looking at your variations is going to be a good part of the fun in this group!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment