A Very Vegan Thyme Christmas! (Vegan Christmas Cookies Galore, A Party to Attend, Dog Treats, Apple Butter, Dexter and More!)

"It was the week before Chirstmas and all through the house, all I could do was creep around with flour on my blouse. I fell in the snow, scraped up my hand, then turned on the oven, parchment paper in hand. Grandma's recipes were scattered about, my hands were covered in dough, food coloring and sprinkles while Dr. Thyme sat back (reading without Nook) all of the fine books one library could hold. Suddenly I noticed a cookie I craved. . .then another and another, till all we had were cookies, a cake, dog treats and the first season of Dexter to keep us entertained."
I am literally NOT finished with baking my kitchen seasonal eats--it's like prozac to me--the whole, stay in the kitchen, bake, bake, bake. I was able to bake enough IN TIME to get most of what you see on this page packaged and shipped to "dear loved ones" on Monday. Oh, did I happen to mention I stood in line for half an hour to do so! Love you all very much, but REALLY?! I walked into the little old post office down the street only to discover I was one of about a hundred other Last But Not Least crazies toting tightly wrapped treats to mail in the "If it fits, it ships" boxes. (Which is a bunch of hog wash because NONE of the so-named would fit my lovely items for shipping. I guess the post office hoped only granny squares were on everyone's list. Cripes.) So I walked up to the counter when it was finally my turn stating: Uh, your "If it fits" boxes don't. To which the worker bee said, Well, ma'am (ewww, how I hate ma'aaam). . . we'd sure love to keep your business! To that I replied, Then you'll have to make this FIT!!! I was obliged by the post office quickly and effeciently after stating "I guess I could always go to the UPS store", and like a Christmas miracle was handed a box that did, indeed, FIT!  
The cookies I baked this year were all VERY old recipes. From the top:
1. Cookie Press Cookies from Martha Stewart. This is and has been my go-to cookie recipe for over ten years now--I make them every year, and every year I get loads of, More Please from recipients. Those of you interested: the vegan substitutions are like this: for the egg yolks--use Ener-G egg replacer like so: 3 teaspoons of replacer mixed with 3 tablespoons of warm water, then a teaspoon of canola oil (with the canola you get the "fat" imparted from the egg yolk. Well, it worked for me anyway. And. . . there is the old butter--easy peesy to replace: use same amount in unsalted vegetable spread. Proceed as directed. 
2. Mexican Wedding Cake Cookies. My mom's recipe, who got it from her good friend from who got it from Italy. So I guess they could really be called an Italian Wedding Cake Cookie. Either way, these are the world's BEST. There are a ton of recipes for this cookie on the web--be sure to add a quarter teaspoon of almond extract to this--it increases the crave-worthyness tenfold, I promise. Oh, and my recipe includes powdered sugar in the dough, not just sprinkled on top. I used pecans for my nuts. Use whatever nut you'd like.
3. Bachelor Button Cookies. This cookie is filled with coconut and pecans and topped with the best fruit ever invented, the cherry. This is Dr. Thyme's favorite (making a second batch today!). I've eaten my share of these as well--they are a fave.  
Peanut Butter Dog Treats--so easy and the kiddos LOVED them!
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup water
2 tablespoons canola oil
Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients until it forms a dough ball. Roll out on lightly floured counter, cut into desired shape (a dog biscuit is preferred). Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Allow to cool on cookie sheet. Keep in turned-off oven over night. Store in an air tight container.
Oh to have the Artisan Bread in Five and make this vegan Christmas Stollen. If you don't have this cookbook yet--put it on your Christmas list NOW! I followed this recipe from the ABI5 blog--I heart these people and thank them for this recipe. It was simply the best and will forever be a Christmas must-make treat.
Christmas Apple Butter Recipe and Dexter. Whoa!
Oh, don't get all righteous on me here--being entertained through the holidays is mandatory (to keep us from wanting to kill each other as we are cooped up for two weeks together). Each holiday season we select a "not yet viewed" series. This year the vote was for Dexter. Uh, creepy, but weirdly fascinating and we can't stop watching it.

The apple butter is my own twist on an old recipe Dr. Thyme's mom used to make. It takes nine pounds of apples! But oh-so-very-yummy! And. . . the secret ingredient is: red hots candies--one box per nine pounds of apples. Be not afraid to can this time of year. To me a gift of food like this is one of the very best things in the world. The apple butter tradition is one we don't skimp on (though last year for some reason, we went without). I must have been in a really Scrooge sort of mood. But yesterday, it was all apple butter, all day. If you have the time--seek out an apple butter recipe and get crankin'! Your house will thank you for it! On my search for ideas, I came across a good starter recipe on 101cookbooks.
Dr.Thyme and me all gussied up for his office party. I thought it would be fitting to go the bow tie route this year. I am no stranger to the men's department. I have a deep secret here to share--I once worked for a huge fashion icon as a merchandiser for the entire line of men's furnishings in the Midwest. I mention this only because it relates to the whole bow tie affair. I've always admired the bow tie. . I think it is really an under appreciated accessory and adds class to any man's look. I went in search of such a look for hubby. I was shocked to find not a single sales associate knew how to tie a real bow tie. Shame. Shame. Shame. I spent the rest of the afternoon teaching myself (with dear patient husband nearby) learning how to do the bow tie. I've got it down to a fine art now. It completed our entire holiday look if you ask me. . . that and my very cute bling I got for a song. Well, I HAD to have something new--the little black dress is a little old favorite, at least ten years old. (In the background, our pathetic little tree with my handmade topper!). Cheers everyone!

Well, that's all for now. We're told we'll have a white Christmas this year (vs. the brown we have outside now). My fingers are crossed that it snows and snows and snows! It brightens everything up--including my mood. I love the snow! I have asked Dr. Thyme to please take me ice skating for Christmas. He said only if there was a place for him to watch me fall. . . that was heated. Have a merry holiday!














Comments

  1. Your cookies look delicious. That is a great picture of you and Dr. Thyme, you look beautiful!
    Hope you have a very Merry Christmas.(and very white)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you have a Merry (and white) Christmas! Your Post Office story cracks me up, especially since I had my own issues with them this week. I am just drooling over that stollen. It looks so festive and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful picture of you and your hubby. Merry Christmas to you both! It is warm without any snow in Texas!!! I am afraid I am going to be hit with tons of surprises when I get back to Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look stunning in this photo! What a glamour couple! I bow down before your baking stamina, really. And thank you sooo much for your sweet words about Pete. I know you understand. (And it's fraiche!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful photograph. You two look just stunning. Isn't it amazing all the time and energy that the holiday season demands? I know I can't help baking though...it is essential! I hope you have a wonderful week, my friend. Many blessings as the new year approaches. Thank you for sharing this sweetness!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment