My Beekeeping Life And Hiking Amongst the Elk to Cure Depression

After an emotionally draining weekend, Dr. Thyme and I decided a hike was in order. I say it was a "draining" weekend because I had a sort of "break" in my emotional side--not uncommon for me as I may have indirectly said, I suffer from the old depression monster or as my clinical help calls it, some sort of mood disorder. I feel it's time to come clean with it on my blog. This way, as I come in and out of here on my blogging--long absences usually tend to be a point at which I am coming to terms with "picking myself up by my bootstraps and moving on"--I can be a little more up front on the matter. I wasn't intending for my blog to be so confessional in its design--I really do want to keep the vegan food stuff part of my main focus. I have journaled in the traditional manner of notebook and pen in the past. I still keep my pens and notebooks handy. But so much of my writing takes place through my blog now (and it takes a pretty big chunk of time to blog--more than I thought it would), I feel it's time to immerse my whole self here and hopefully at the same time, be able to maybe help someone else as I move along in life. You can skip reading this part if you so desire. As I've stated before, this blog is my life, my food, and things I love (or have trouble loving).


I suffer from depression year round. But my deep depression/mood problems a bit more as the sun begins slipping away during the fall and winter months. It's odd that just when the temperatures outside are absolutely amazing and TOTALLY begging me to come outside--it's more of a challenge to do so. There are days when I think I CAN venture out and interact--like I did on Saturday for my garden club's Fall Festival, or . . . HIDE in the safe surroundings of my house. I try very hard to stay on the positive side of life and do the social part whenever I can--nine times out of ten--getting there is half the battle. This also means keeping the stress level to a minimum and people interaction down to a manageable number.

I was feeling pretty good in the earlier part of the week, then was set back pretty far when I got home from the festival Saturday night. It was just a little too much of a push that took me over the edge is all. Luckily, I maintained fairly well at the festival. Dr. Thyme helped mend me as he always does. But he uses both the practical approach his science background affords him--and this is truly where I think his help in talking me out of the blues is most beneficial, plus he uses the love of a good husband approach: listening, being empathetic and then just being there for me as the hours tick by. A new day brings new perspective. Knowing this and keeping this in mind helps. I just have to work a little harder and use one of my favorite movie lines of all times to pick myself up--it's from Cher in the movie, Moonstruck (one of my all-time favorite movies): "Snap out of it!" (It's a classic movie scene--best ever and so funny.) It helps, it really does.

Society still won't talk openly about depression quite yet. It's still "taboo". Whatever. Cripes we'll talk about every other ailment on god's green planet--why not depression? I don't imagine a HUGE Walk for the Cure fundraiser taking place for depression because, let's be honest, the folks suffering most from this aren't likely to gather in the thousands. It would nearly kill us to do so! But I can imagine all the people afflicted donning HOPE t-shirts that someday we WILL talk more openly about how, for some people, the world is just a bit harder to cope with than it is for others. I don't want a pity parade either--and I'm sure other like-minded folks would agree. But just a bit more "awareness" is all, a bit more research into the disease. I've been living with this for over twenty years back when I was first diagnosed. Those closest to me know it is a part of me, and support me however they feel they can. I have tried the medicate/sedate route as doctors in the earlier part of my diagnosis tried. I hated it. Hated the numbness, hated the weight gain, just hated all of it. Numbing you from your life is like no life at all if you ask me. I then found someone who would help me via other means and I am grateful to this day for discovering I am not alone in my quest to conquer the disease sans pharmaceuticals--this is just what works for me. Does it mean it's a bit harder to cope? Yes, but you slowly build up an arsenal of "help" remedies and seek relief quickly when the big D arrives. My doctor assisting me along the way is a huge help and always is a phone call away. As was the case this past week. I went from feeling really good, really strong to not so strong, not so good. The hike was just what the doctor would have ordered. And it helped tremendously. Nature has a way of doing that for me.
It's elk mating season. As we hiked Lone Elk Park here in St. Louis on Sunday, I was stunned to look up and find within a fairly close distance, two beautiful and LARGE creatures--probably male and female but I couldn't tell, sitting peacefully in the park. That just does something to you--I can't explain it. I just sat and stared, Dr. Thyme behind me--watching, playing it a little more safe (plus he knows I'm a fast runner!).
Me and him.
This path in the woods with the light breaking through shows how the floor of the park and the path is gradually becoming a carpet of leaves. I love being in parks this time of year.
An end of the two-hour hike. It was a great day.
I am a beekeeper. Well. . . was. . . until Colony Collapse Disorder left me bee-less. I went through a period of deep mourning after losing my one remaining bee colony last summer. At one time, I had three hives. I harvested my own honey--gently and with great care. They are my girls. You have not had good honey until you have personally tasted it dripping from the hive and honey frame you hold in your own hand, bees buzzzing all around you--scaring you a bit with their high-pitched buzzes. I've been stung, so that fear level of the first sting has never quite eased with me. Well, beekeeping is: Incredible. After this last loss, I was devastated. I know all about the vegan/no-honey thing. I think it is really a shame and wrong thinking. Most backyard beekeepers are not your mass-production honey-making types. Those I have met have probably the biggest hearts and most inclination to NOT hurt a bee in any instance. We beekeepers are the ones that don't blanch if a bee happens nearby. I am sure I will see some turn away from this blog as a result of my views on beekeeping.

I wish more people would put hives in their backyard. You have no idea how important the bee is to our food chain--and as a vegan it's even MORE important given that nearly everything I consume is produced thanks to the honeybee. I am not here to push my beliefs onto anyone, and don't want anyone doing so to me. But I will state this because it is my blog. Honey is good. Bees are good. Amen. 

Lucky for me, I ran into a fellow-beekeeper last week at my garden club. He's a pro. I was instantly interested in his knowledge and bee-speak. (Like gardeners, beekeepers are incredibly generous folks.) I told him of my beekeeping disaster. He said I was not alone in this as many beekeepers had even greater losses. (BTW, it is not cheap to invest in beekeeping--I have a lot of money sunk into my beekeeping equipment and hives.) I knew about the losses and disasters of fellow beekeepers from the articles I had read and news reports I followed. I said I wanted my hives up again in spring and asked if he'd help me get them back up and running. He said sure, but that I'd have to agree to get a bit more "technical beekeeping" knowledge under my belt. I am an organic beekeeper--I don't like medications and this or that messing with my bees. I want them to be strong and resilient but without dosing them up on chemicals. I said I was desperate to have a beekeeping "mentor". He agreed. Then he came to the house to "inspect" my hives and my current on-hand beekeeping inventory--to determine at least what we could salvage. Turns out I am in good shape--a lot better than I had imagined. I was given a reading assignment and beekeeping house cleaning chores. I will be ordering my bees via the mail in early spring.













Comments

  1. Thank you Kelly for such an open post. Sometimes we do not know what others go through. Sometimes I see the blog world as a place where people can escape and be people they really are not. It feels good to be real. Sometimes it is easier to be real in blog world because people in normal everyday living are not real, no matter how much you try. I am going through that right now. I went through a time and sometimes go in and out of it. Missing my family being far away, being away from my girlfriends with whom I truly connect and so much more. I find when I dwell on that too much I find myslef in the dumps. One prayer is at least answered: I get to visit my girlfriends next month in Colorado! Big hugs to you KElly, because I know how difficult it can be. My father is clinically manic depressive and trying to break the bond of not having that pass to me or my children is difficult. It is a terrible thing to suffer. Turning to God for solace especially when the Psalms talk much about depression. DAvid cries out in his Psalms about his sadness. And I do agree that society makes it taboo to talk about depression but SO many people go through it. Wow, I did not think I would write a little novel here, but you definitely hit me to the heart. Wish we could meet! Love the pic of you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, its such a shame that depression and mental health is so difficult for society to openly talk about. And it can make those suffering from it feel even more alone becuase it seems almost taboo to speak about.
    Myself, i have anxiety and panic attacks and I havent even told my closest friends, I think im too scared of being judged.
    I always like posts like this, although I am too afraid to write one myself :)
    Anyhow im glad you were able to get out an enjoy a nice day. That Elk is completely amazing!!!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noelle, First, thank you so much for the very, very meaningful and thoughtful comment. You have a big heart! You are one of the first blogger folks with whom I connected after starting my blog--I am so happy we did! I am so sorry about your father. So sorry also for you having to go through this at times as well. Fall seems to be harder this year--maybe it was the toll of this past summer--the heat? who knows? I just know that I need to focus every single day on how to get "over" the hump and get on with another day. This "passing down" thing is where my own problem started--it just crushed my mother when I discovered I had a inherited her "problem"--in my mid twenties--which, from what I've learned--is typically when it manifests itself. I have a fighter soul--so that helped a lot. The medical industry has come a LONG way in its approach to help with the "sad" disorder and I believe that is where anyone should start--seeing a professional to build up a defense system in coping--and I am very lucky to have found someone with whom I can turn to when I most need help. I wish everyone could be this lucky. I have struggled over and over with the "to post" or "not to post" question regarding my "depression" a hundred times. My husband suggested starting another blog to focus on "that" aspect. Doing so would require too much work, too much splitting myself up for this blog and another. This is who I am. I can't help it and really, I am not helping anyone by NOT speaking the truth. Some may not want too much of "real" life exposed when they read something for a recipe or for whatever reason--myabe this blog is not for them. But the person cooking is also the person with feelings and a need to connect. Going vegan from vegetarian has helped me tremendously. Again, I just have to say thanks for being so honest here and you did make a huge difference in my world today! I hope I've done the same for you! Big hug back at you!

    Hi Rose, I agree a hundred percent. And also thank you for your comment--very meaningful to me and helps in so many ways. Oh and yes, I am very acquainted with the anxiety and panic attack issues as well. It's hard to predict anyone's reaction to anything these days. Sometimes it feels the world is in a better place and more "open" about issues such as these. I am glad you stopped by and so appreciate your comment. And on the matter of the elk--they WERE just incredible to see--just sitting there in the park--it's rare to see them unless you are in the car driving through. We were completely enthralled by them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, I admire your courage to put yourself out there. It's a shame that depression is such a taboo topic in our culture. While I've never personally experienced it, I know people who struggle with it. I admire your desire to be pharmeceutical-free, as I strive to be in my life as well. Nature plays a large part in my wellness journey also and your photos of the elk are simply stunning. What a deep experience to be that close.

    I'm excited to hear more about your upcoming beekeeping experiences! My farmer friend keeps bees and the fresh raw honey is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeanne, thanks so much for your note. I don't know what I'd do without my blog and my blog friends! I am so touched. If you know others who share the same dreadful problem, then you are familiar with the taboo this topic carries. It is a shame. But those friends are lucky to have someone who cares in their life--it matters a ton, trust me! I am excited about my bees, too! I will for sure be blogging about it--I miss my bees a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, I am really sorry to read about your depression. I feel like you have hinted towards it in some of your other posts. My heart hurts for you. I have an anxiety problem that I wrestle with but I know that that's minor compared to what you go through. It sounds like your doing all the right things to deal with this. I have to confess that after only leaving the house twice a week(monday was food shopping, friday was the bank) for a few years, I finally did start taking a medication(one of the milder ones) and it has helped me so much. I still have issues but I feel a lot better now. I know your case is different and I'm not trying to recommend anything. I'm glad you wrote about this, you should write about anything you want to. I don't just read your blog for the great recipes. I admire you for all that your able to accomplish everyday while dealing with the "blues". You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi veganhomemaker, Oh, I just don't know what to say. Your email is very sincere and so thoughtful. And I can totally relate! I admire your courage for facing your problem head on and seeking help. It is sometimes hard for anyone not 'limited' to some degree in their life to understand what emotions can do to a person. It's one of the reasons I had a "hard stop" on the work front. I spent nearly half my previous job I was in (for seven years) traveling and that really took it's toll. I hate travel now. I am so self aware based on the years of struggling with this monster that when I find I have not left my house (sometimes for a week)--my husband will begin to figure this out and sort of nudge me out the door, give me inspiration to do so, or just suggest I use my "phone-a-friend" option and get "help". When he travels I have to really work hard to stay afloat and do so by taking a class or going to my knitting/fabric stores--just to get out.
    But when I am in a "rut" then I have usually figured out that I do need to "get out"--whether to Target to just walk the aisles or to the grocery store to get us food (because I've served paninis for a week!). I hate that this is such a common thing for people and that we don't discuss openly. I think folks would heal more if they realized, Hey, you are not alone! But that's just me. I have a lot of "outside the home" events coming up in November that will keep me distracted--and stress me out--a fundraiser in three weeks that is just now beginning to pick up steam. My sister will be here for T-giving and we've not seen each other for several years--I am really looking forward to seeing her. I'll write about this soon! But I wish you all the good karma in the world and thank you so much for sharing and writing! This is why this blog means so much to me--for people like you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really interested to read your thoughts on beekeeping. I hope you're able to get your hives up and going again in the spring.

    I appreciate that you shared your struggle with depression. The more it's openly spoken about, the more likely people are to remember it's an illness just like diabetes or heart disease. Thanks! Thanks also for the beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bonnie!
    Thanks so much for your comment! I am going to for SURE be posting about my beekeeping in spring. I love the bees! They add tremendous value to my plants and the performance of my garden. I love watching them, too--they are fascinating. Your comment was very kind and made my day! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post girl! I suffer from bad anxiety and worse S.A.D. This time of year is a killer. I am hoping that upping my gym time will help me this season. I am with you on the vegan honey thing. I mean really, farmers arent out their with little cattle prods making the bees work overtime...Plus, all of the beekeepers I know provide more for them than they would find in the wild. They are well cared for. Keep up the good work, I wouldnt have the guts to do it myself. Bees get a wide berth with me, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment