Ginger Miso Soba Noodle Soup (Great paired with Jonathan Franzen's new novel "Freedom".)


Taking measures to cure yourself with soup is nothing new. I remember the cans and cans of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup I would be forced to sip from as I lay sick in bed being tended to by my mother. That was about the extent of her capability to "help" her sick kid. (This is the same mother who left me writhing in pain when I told her I think I broke my arm and said, Here, take two aspirin, I'm sure you'll be fine--I can't worry about this now, I have a meeting to go to!. . . two hours later after her "meeting" was over, finally capitulated, taking me in for x-rays only to discover that my arm was indeed broken--a clean split--suddenly felt like the Mother-of-The-Year award would not be graced upon her lovely soul.) Mom, if you are up there, I finally think I can forgive you for that. But only maybe.
So this weekend was pretty much a wash out. Mr. Thyme--a wonderful man if there ever was one--sat closely by--asking what I needed, getting me bottled water with electrolytes, taking care of the canine kids as I stayed in bed most of the time reading Jonathan Franzen's new novel, Freedom. I had my copy long before Oprah picked it as her "book club" read. By now, I am sure everyone is aware of this incredible book. Rightly at number one on the NYT Best Seller List. I am over half way finished with the 560 page book. Love it. Love Franzen's work--not only for his fiction, but for his writing in the New Yorker and his wonderful, very intense essays. (His essay collection, How to Be Alone--probably one of my favorite reads of all time--seriously, get your hands on this if you can.) He's a local guy. From St. Louis. Spoke here last night for his book tour. I would have loved to attend, but am too shy, plus have that whole crowd-averse thingy. I read the recap of the event in the paper this morning. Very well-attended. I won't divulge much of the book details here, but let me just say--I swear he has one of the main characters, Patty Berglund, down pat. I am simply amazed by the female-ness of her--how Franzen managed this microscopic feminine insight is beyond me. But way to go, way to keep this reader engaged.

Back to this soup and the weekend. I am not easily made to "rest". The infection wore me out. Then the antibiotics I was given to chase the demon from my body was even more exhausting. I hate to be "down". Just hate it. So yesterday, I walked the dogs--first time I'd ventured outside for several days. It was hot. My yard needs my attention in the worst way. I am demanding I heal by like eight this morning because the lawn mower and weed eater are calling me. I am on my second cup of coffee and will soon be heading out. I may collapse in like an hour, but I at least need to get the part the yard the "neighbors" can see taken care of. So I ran into one of them who said, Yea, noticed the yard wasn't looking so good, so was wondering about you all. That didn't help matters as I have my whole Master Gardener image to think of and my Yard Pride. 

It's in the nineties right now. My sister called to check on me. She lives in the Northern climate where I was raised. She said, Oh the leaves have started to change, it's gorgeous here, what's it look like there? I said, July, it looks like friggin' JULY! I am truly angry about it being 90 in September. My call to nature for this fall is this: Very cold. Very snowy. Lots of sunshine. But plenty of snow. You can keep reading here to find out if my "winter" of discontent returns. 

There was divine intervention taking place when I reached into the deepest part of my fridge (beind my plastic containers of dough for all the bread I am now making) and pulled out miso. I always have this on hand. Not that I am big into cooking Asian meals. I am not. I have never been a big Asian foods person. But I have read that the miso is magical. I believe it is. I turn to it in my time of need. 

This soup is easy and delicious. I should make it more often. I find an instant surge in my vitality when I take it in. I don't pretend to know what this effect is all about, I just do what my body wants me to do. Even if you're not down, out or whatever, I think with the changing season upon us (and that lovely flu panic that seems to have everyone propping up the signs for "Get Your Flu Shot NOW!")--taking an inventory of your on hand items for the if and when moment might be a good idea. I had this soup for lunch, breakfast, then lunch again and swear to you there is just something about it that "works" for me.

Ginger Miso Soba Noodle Soup 

1 carrot sliced thin (on the bias is prettier)
1 small onion diced
1 veggie boullion cube (I used a low sodium kind)
4 cups water
2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves (stems removed)
2 inch piece of fresh ginger minced
1/3 package of soba noodles (I buy a packet that has 3 bound groups of noodles, I used only 1 for this)
2 tablespoons miso (whisked in warm water, then added to soup)
2 scallions sliced thin (white and green parts) for garnish

Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and ginger. Saute for about five minutes. Add the water and boullion cube and stir until the cube is dissolved. You don't want to bring this soup to a boil--just keeping it warm is fine. Add your two handfuls of spinach. Stir until the spinach sort of begins to wilt. Next, add the noodles. Finally, in a small bowl, whisk together the miso with about 1/4 cup of water, then add this to the soup. Miso should never be boiled. Just mix the soup well, Remove from heat. Serve. Reheat gently when you have it as a leftover.  



Comments

  1. This soup looks fabulous! I've never made anything with miso, though I do love miso soup. I hope you get your energy back soon - it's no fun being "down". I've added those books to my list, I can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly, keep taking care of yourself-don't over do it:)
    That soup sounds really good right now, I might make that tonight!
    I just started reading Freedom last night at bedtime. I'm hooked already, but my gosh that book is heavy. Being 560 pages and hardcover makes it hard to hold up for any length of time.lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup will do it Kelly! Get better VERY soon! Miso is so healing. I love it for colds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanne! Thanks so much--all words of encouragement totally help and mean so much to me! I am SO glad you wrote the books down. I hope you enjoy reading him as much as I do. And as for miso--it cures so well, I can hardly explain all the mystery of it! I am having more right now for lunch--so yummy!

    Hi veganhomemaker! Thanks so much for your note--and the one you wrote yesterday--as I said, it all means so much. But I am laughing so hard at your comment because that is EXACTLY what I thought about the book--I even came very close to converting to a Kindle reader on this one--but I am such an old school kind of gal (my book collection would hate us forever)--my husband has converted to an e-reader--I just don't think it's the same. I love holding the heft in my hands (okay maybe not all ten pounds) and turning the pages, reading by my night light--you get it, I am sure! Oh, so you MUST tell me what you think of Patty--and the whole way the story is moving. I can hardly wait to finish it but would love your thoughts as you are reading, too--send me a note to my email if you want.

    Hi Noelle! Thanks so much--you are such a sweetheart!--I am behind on reading my blog friends but you posted a cake recently that made me stop in my tracks--I will be visiting it again soon! I can't stop eating the miso now--afraid if I do, I will get sick again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly!
    It is great to hear that you are a Franzen fan too! I can't wait to get my hands on his new novel. He came to do a book-reading in Austin on Friday, but unfortunately we missed it. This soup looks soothing for the body and for the soul...I hope you are feeling one hundred percent soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, soup- you must be just as ready as I am for Autumn to hit St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Monet! Oh, that is such great news and always nice to find other fans (though I am already impressed with your reading list you offer on your blog!) I am getting around much better than I was this weekend--thanks so much for all the notes and good vibes!

    Hi Steph! I had no idea you lived in the area! I am 100% ready for this weather to turn to fall--it is depressing and while working outside a bit yesterday, I could have sworn I was working again in a heat wave. It's nice to have it cooled off today--much nicer! Thanks so much for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, that is my kinda soup! I love anything with ginger in it. I bet this is the perfect soup for when I'm feeling sick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Monique! I love ginger, too! I am now addicted to miso soup and have had it for lunch for the past three days! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment