The Vegan Strawberry Cake That Wasn't And Other Pink-ness

I was heading down with corn for the deer tonight and looked up to see these incredible blooms. I ran back inside for my camera because I just knew some of you out there would want to share in this moment with me--well, besides the moquitoes that were picking my blood veins dry! Over the course of this 90-plus degree hot day, my tree was now flush with blossoms! Just like that. I don't think its ever had this many blooms. I imagine we are having this pink spash partly owing to the fact that I've allowed this "rather invasive" tree to mature on a hill directly below my very amended square-foot-garden--i.e., this sucker is getting all the goods I have in one fell swoop.
My roses are doing amazingly well this year, too. I planted garlic directly next to them. I have yet to see a Japanese Beetle dare set foot here. Hmmm. Could it be my companion planting research finally paid off?
And then this. . . so I am just in for a quick post this evening. (I am an early to bed gal--beauty sleep is mandatory and critical at my Almost Fifty age). I'm sad tonight. I wanted to have my fruit with dinner per the Eat to Live plan: "fruit with each meal", so I made a vegan strawberry cake. I think strawberry cake qualifies as a "fruit with dinner".
Alas, my cake was a total failure. In my research in all things pink cake--I discovered two things: most of them are made with Jell-O, and most are made with a box cake mix. I tried my hand at adapting several recipes to get to this finished mess. Looks good, right? Umm, no. Not even close. Too flour-y, too lacking in. . . I don't know--a good Jell-O cake taste--which for the life of me, I cannot quite replicate in a vegan version. I will try again because I have bad cake lust right now. So until I get this right, this is the only "cake craving" shot for today. Sigh. No fruit with dinner, sorry Eat to Live plan.  



Comments

  1. Lol, yes strawberry cake definitely counts as a fruit. And if you have some carrot cake with it ... you've fulfilled your vegetable serving as well. ; )

    LOVE the photos of your yard, amazing,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mihl! I am now recovering nicely after my second attempt last night--mmmmm, mmmmm good! I was determined plus feeding a mighty craving! I love these trees, but they grow "everywhere" in my yard--and are listed as "invasive" throughout some of the state--but I still love them!

    Hi Trixie Girl! I HAVE to justify my cake--new eating plan or not! I LOL at the carrot cake, which now is another craving I need to meet--so thanks! And thank you so much for the comment about my yard--it is really pretty right now, but if we don't get rain soon--then not so pretty will arrive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment