Vegan Bakin' for The Snowed In: Cinnamon Raisin Bread & Me

We had cinnamon raisin bread on our minds after cinnamon rolls last weekend. I got busy yesterday with Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice again and learned a thing or two myself about the amazing things a little bit of flour, water, cinnamon, and yeast can do. Served up toasted smeared with a gob of vegan margerine--OMG! This bread surpassed our expectations by a mile! If Peter Reinhart ever reads my blog: You can come to my house and bake anytime--any!
The hand kneading of this bread is not for the faint of heart--it never is. Personally, I totally enjoy hand kneading my doughs. (I tried out a knead-free book a few weeks ago. I promptly returned it.) Per instructions, the raisins were added during the last two minutes. It was touch and go for a bit because I was really wanting more raisins than I thought would fit, but alas, the dough accepted my demands.

What is the point in making cinnamon raisin bread without the "swirl"? I had a little fun with this part, so I thought the photo really helped in showing the task being managed in the final roll up before the bread proofs.

Bread proofing before baking.

Me, before I headed out--yes, out in the snow--to pick up a library book I just HAD to have today. One of my all time favorite authors, Louise Erdrich, has a new book out: Shadow Tag. (I had to get my hands on it right away as I do all of her fiction.) In this I am sporting a really poorly fitting hat (be nice) but one of the first I made. Plus, I am in a hand knit sweater I made last winter--design by Wendy Bernard from her book: Custom Knits. I love the neck treatment on this--very retro. I don't know why I picked this color, it just spoke to me at the time. . .I'm almost fifty, I can wear what I want!

Comments

  1. OOH, I would LOVE to make that bread, it looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinnamon raisin bread is one of my favorites. I've been making regular sandwich loaves lately, but I need a change of pace! This one is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I love the puffy raw dough. I, too, LOVE to hand knead ... I can feel my blood pressure go down while I'm doing it, I swear. Ok, it's officially a sin that you aren't selling your sweaters, that one is SO cute you look like a retro mod British biker babe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The swirl is definitely necessary! Great pics of an exciting loaf. I'm really digging that sweater by the way. Maybe someday I will work up to such a task. I just bought some new needles to give socks a go :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment