Vegan Philly Cheese-less Steak-less Sammich (So Easy!)


This is the simplest vegan sandwich I think I have ever made! Still trying to get my cooking mojo back, I was not in the mood for complicated recipes. Just simple! This is why good food from non-vegan days is so critical to keep in the memory when we have little time, little motivation for anything with too many steps. Plus, baking the peanut butter cookies, well, that was a priority for yesterday! So dinner was second--typical of me! Not just because the Phillies are trying really hard to kick the tar out of NY, but because I really do love a good sammich. . . with oven fries. But in all honesty, this one is a keeper--a happy accident! And if the Phillies win the world series, even better!

Vegan Philly Cheese-less Steak-less Sammich
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 package of seitan, sliced thin and browned in a pan with a little seasoning
some Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons Vegan Mayo
2 tablespoons horseradish
1 whole wheat hero sandwich bread, sliced down the middle
vegan Swiss cheese slices

Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Caramelize the onions in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Just let them release their sweetness and begin to brown. Then, in another small frying pan, place the sliced seitan in a bit of olive oil and season with Spike or a bit of salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until browned. Mix the vegan mayo with the horseradish and set aside. Take the sliced bread and smear both sides with mustard. Then place a layer of seitan on one side, then top with caramelized onions, pour some of the vegan mayo mixture over this and then top that with two slices of vegan Swiss cheese. Place some vegan mayo mixture over the mustard you spread on the other slice of bread. Place the open-faced sandwich in the oven and bake for about ten minutes. Remove from oven and place the non-layered slice of bread over the other and smash down!

Comments

  1. Hi Kelly /Vegan Thyme, What a fabulous recipe! I am not a vegetarian or vegan, but I am also not a big meat eater. I really enjoy either a good vegetarian or vegan dish, and this is one that caught my attention right away. Thanks for sharing it looks absolutely mouth watering and I can't wait to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you so much! I had this for lunch the next day--and it was as tasty as the night before! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey kelly
    looks pretty good
    but no one in philadelphia would ever put horseradish on a cheesesteak, fyi
    it sounds ok, im just saying

    ketchup or hot sauce is more common
    ml

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mikelanders: Hi! You are welcome to say anything, seriously, I don't mind--and feedback is always good. So thanks for the note and setting me straight. But personally, I have never "loved" ketchup unless it's on fries. As for hot sauce--well, that I love!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment