Vegan Hungarian Goulash with Paprika Cream (Vegan MoFo Reason 10 & 11)


Vegan Thyme: Vegan Hungarian Goulash with Paprika Cream (Vegan ...
It was really cold yesterday--soup was in order. Not just any soup--robust, lots of flavor and noodles and chunks of yummy mushrooms with a tomato base, mmmm. . . goulash. This is one of our favorite dishes. I've made it in the heat of summer, too--and it still tastes just as good. This recipe is inspired by my friends at Moosewood Restaurant with their cookbook (I highly recommend: Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special.) I had made some foccacia bread yesterday to serve with the saffron creamed ravioli--it was a rosemary and crush red-pepper sort. This is probably the easiest breads in the world to make (especially with my handy-dandy Breadman Bread Machine!). We had the perfect evening, too. Fire going, warm bowls of yumminess and dogs curled around us, watching old episodes of Boston Legal (which I love--is James Spader the best or what?--we really hate watching TV with commercials, so we do a lot of Netflix). Anyhow, on top of this lovely meal was the making of a pumpkin carrot cake--more on that later. For now, let me play catch up for my Vegan obligations and offer two more reasons for why I am a vegan:

Vegan MoFo
Reason Number 10:

Because eating with a conscious is better than eating without one.

Vegan MoFo
Reason Number 11:

Someone posted a meal they made with some ox body part yesterday on this food site I belong to (I'm just trying to spread the vegan love)--it made me cringe and feel ill for a moment. I was glad to be a vegan then.
And now, for the recipe!

Vegan Hungarian Goulash
1 package dried porcini mushrooms
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cooking sherry
Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl, add boiling water and mix in the sherry, cover and set aside.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 green or yellow pepper chopped
1 large container of baby bellas chopped
1 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
2 cups veggie stock
2 cups water
1 teaspoon dried dill
3 garlic cloves minced
1 tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 bag of noodles--sort of wide
S & P to taste
Heat soup pot with oil on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add the paprika, carrots and pepper. Mix well. Cover and let cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat. If it looks dry--add a 1/4 cup of water. Now add the tomatoes and mushrooms, Braggs and mix well. Take the porcini mushrooms, drain liquid--reserving it! Here's how I did this--pour through a coffee filter. Then add the liquid to the pot and chop up the mushrooms and add this to pot as well. Add remaining water and stock. In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook noodles for about 5 minutes. Drain and place in soup pot. Cook on low for about 20 more minutes. Serve topped with paprika cream.
Make Paprika Cream
Mix 1/4 cup tofu sour cream with 1 tablespoon hot sauce and a teaspoon paprika. Whisk to combine.

Comments

  1. This looks great! I just have two questions.
    1. what size are the two cans of fire roasted tomatoes?
    and 2. at what point do you add the Sherry?
    Thanks so much,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca! Thanks for the comment! I used two regular sized cans--14 oz. I add the sherry usually after the onions and garlic have cooked a bit--I try to let it reduce a bit first, then proceed adding the remaining ingredients. I think the sherry adds a nice kick. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment