Vegan Swirl Poundless Cake (more reasons to be vegan!)




Okay, with the busy weekend, I was not really able to keep up with my Vegan MoFo duties. So I am listing three for my day today! I really am sorry, but I was working for a good cause. That awesome Vegan Swirl Poundless Cake recipe is below--plus a photo of it in its "dough-state"--the layers you can see. This is a delicious, moist heavenly cake without the guilt--no, it does not use a pound of butter--no butter at all. I was inspired to make this when I saw a picture of it in this month's Food & Wine (okay, not a real vegan friendly publication, however, does have some easily vegan-adapted recipes). Plus, I made vegan donuts again this weekend, I had to share the photo of the last lone survivor. . .until I ate it this morning!

31 Reasons for Why I am Vegan:

Number 3. To keep plant eating community well-nourished, the vegans of this world are constantly trying out new ways to incorporate beans, beans and more beans into their diet--they may soon invent a bean that can stand in place of the entire meat section of your local grocer--look out cows, lambs, chickens and fish, we may just be able to save you yet!
Number 4. I love mashed potatoes. (I never thought potato starch could do so many amazing things!)

Number 5. I can look my dogs in the eye and can just tell they know I am all right with the Canine gods (who are best friends with the Bovine and Poultry gods) and that when I go my own way in my next journey, they will have a cool pad waiting for me!

Vegan Swirl Poundless Cake

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
4 eggs (Use the equivalent of Ener-G Egg Replacer for 4 eggs)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 sticks Earth Balance
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 jar of Peanut Butter & Company Dark Chocolate spread *You could use your favorite 'chocolate spread'-this is what I found and it worked well.
Preheat oven to 325 and oil and flour a loaf pan. First, mix the Egg Replacer amount together for the 4 eggs. Really give this a good whisk. Mix the sugar and vegan butter together. Then mix the
dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Now, add the vanilla extract to the egg replacer mixture. Then incorporate the egg replacer mixture into the sugar and butter. In three batches, add the flour mixture to butter--mix by hand and DO NOT over mix!--just incorporate. Layer a third of this mixture in the bottom of pan. Next spread a layer of chocolate stuff. Then another layer of cake mix. Another layer of chocolate and final layer of cake mix. Take the end of a knife and lightly swirl the mixture. Just lightly, because you want that yummy goodness in the layers to stay in place. Bake for about 1 hour and 5-10 minutes. It will have a nice crust and yummy, yummy moistness!

Comments

  1. Thank you so much! I cut it into ready-to-eat pieces and put it in the fridge in a container for "snacking". Well, it is even better a few days after! So, if you make it--it keeps well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment