Vegan Noodle Curry with Garbanzos (Vegan MoFo Reason Number 8)

Vegan Mofo Reason 8:

I am a vegan because what I eat doesn't scream or cry.

Speed was the name of the game for last night's dinner and it was perfect curry weather (this is an easy curry dish, trust me)! I was out all day, and by 5:30, when I finally got to the kitchen--I was needing something tasty, spicy and fast--I love curry! Speaking of curry, I watched my favorite show Top Chef last night and was completely surprised to learn that several of the contestants had not cooked two cuisines I love: Indian and Asian. Just what IS required of them to make it to the "final cut"--I wonder? I think vegans should apply to the show--you cannot be vegan and not have come across a variety of cuisines--that is just the name of the game--getting inspiration from the foods of the world. Well, enough on that--I am waiting for a Vegan Top Chef--could that ever come to pass? Would the Food Network ever consider a half hour slot for a vegan chef?

I thought I'd try an old time favorite recipe from Robin Robertson's cookbook: Vegan Planet, combined with an extra something from Madhur Jaffrey--in my opinion, the queen of Indian cooking. Robin, by the way, has a new cookbook out: 1000 Vegan Recipes! A thousand. Now, if you can't find anything worth cooking in her books--get out of the kitchen! What I have learned from my reading is that the Indian way of making a wonderful curry involves using spices with your base oil to get your flavors into the oil itself, thus lending a beautiful aroma to the home, and providing extras for the flavor of the dish you are creating. Curry is a study in and of itself. But this dish is so delicious, you will want to try it, I promise!

Vegan Noodle Curry with Garbanzos
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cinnamon stick
3 bay leaves
5 cardamom pods *at Whole Foods or International Grocer
5 whole cloves

On medium heat, add the oil and spices to the pan. Let this cook for about five minutes--don't let the oil burn--i.e., don't let the oil come to a smoking point! When the oil is heated through and the aroma is filling your home, carefully remove the spices with a slotted spoon--retaining as much of the oil as possible--I keep the bay leaves in for extra flavor.

1 onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 " piece of ginger minced
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup peas
1 cup green beans
2 carrots chopped
1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
1 can coconut milk
1/3 of a box of Mori Nu Silken Tofu
spaghetti noodles of your choice
diced green onions for garnish
diced tomatoes for garnish

Bring a pot of salted water to boil--if you do cook these now, set the timer so they don't overcook. Now, with the remaining oil, add the carrots, onion, garlic, ginger and peppers and saute until veggies begin to soften. Then add tomatoes, peas and beans and seasoning--let simmer while you prep the coconut milk and tofu. Blend the milk and tofu in a blender--add s & p to taste. Add this mixture to the pan with the garbanzo beans and let simmer for about 20 minutes to absorb the flavor. The mixture will reduce slightly, but not too much on this or you'll miss out on the best part--the sauce! Serve over cooked noodles with choice of garnish: YUM!



Comments