Vegan Chili


September is my favorite month of the year! It's a special month for me, too. I will be counting down the days until the first day of fall. We have had some amazing weather here--cool and totally welcome! In keeping with my "comfort" food craze, I cooked up a batch of yummy chili. I don't think I have ever made chili the same way twice, seriously. It just happens. My mood, my veggies on hand, my energy level, etc. Some folks like a "tomatoey" chili, some like it "chunky", some like it "beany"--my preference is that it be good and has some heat. A side of cornbread is a must, too. For this recipe, I had some poblanos on hand--I fire roasted them. I also had some chilis in adobo in the freezer--so two good starters for this! Again, I will give you this recipe in a nutshell, but I change up every time--so be flexible with this. Oh, and while I made mine, I accidentally grabbed my cinnamon shaker thinking it was cumin! It was a really happy accident and added a nice subtle background taste--everyone loved it!

Vegan Chili

3 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 celery stalks sliced
1/2 of a chili pepper seeded and diced
1 poblano chili *see directions below
1 chili in adobo sauce chopped
1 yellow or red pepper chopped
1 cup frozen corn
1 can garbonzo beans drain and rinsed
1 can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 14.5 oz. can of whole tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes diced
2 cups veggie broth
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon oregano
dash of cayenne
salt and pepper to taste
1 avocado diced (for garnish)
1 cup shredded soy cheese (for garnish)

First, fire roast your poblano chili. To do this, place the whole chili on top of a burner on a gas stove. With tongs in hand, turn until all sides are browned--be careful and watch this! This should take about ten minutes in total, then place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for about five minutes. When done, remove from bowl, remove the seeds and veins and lay flat. Scrape the charred areas from the pepper, then chop and add to the pot! Now, start the chili. In a large pot, add oil, onion, celery, garlic, chili pepper. Cook on medium heat until onions are translucent. Add remaining ingredients. Seriously, this takes no special talent--just add what you'd like. Cover and cook on low simmer for about 20 minutes. Taste for heat, salt and whatever you feel it may need. Enjoy!

Comments