Vegan Asian Match Meats Burger with Shitake Gravy


The burger. How do I love thee, let me count the ways. I was simply not in the mood to cook. I'm human, it happens. Had a weird day, mostly because of fall allergies and my inclination to also want to be outside all the time! Duh. This was a come-together-about-5:30 creation--why do I do that to myself? Anyhow, I committed to Asian dinners this week. I was determined to not have a stir fry every night, though that would be okay with our household, I don't think it would have allowed for our array of photos and variety in eating! My delight in deciding on this menu came from the fact that I keep stocked up on our Match Meats. This product allows for that creative cook to emerge in a jif and without the hassle of trying to re-create from scratch a protein compound. So, I went to the fridge and looked at the pickings--a lot of peppers, some left over cabbage (I love cabbage)--and plenty of onion--some green onions, ginger, garlic and shitake mushrooms. Sounded about right. I thawed out my chicken Match Meats and started a side of jasmine rice. I prefer jasmine rice to basmati when I have Asian. It is a fragrant and easy rice to prepare. I think the thing that made this meal really rock was this gravy that I whipped up. I have this global market I stop at that has really reasonable prices and I try to stock up on shitakes every time I'm in there. I love mushrooms! Well, if you feel like making a burger--almost any combination of the above mentioned works--just chop the pieces into small enough dice that someone doesn't get a mouthful of garlic or a weird-sized pepper. Your call on seasonings--it's all good! I garnished the burgers with red and yellow tomatoes and added chopped chive over the rice (all from my garden!). Here's the recipes--enjoy!
Vegan Asian Match Meats Burger
1 package chicken Match Meats--thawed and placed in a bowl
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1/4 red onion, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 cup cabbage sliced thin
5 green onions, white and green parts chopped
2 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Amino Acids
2 teaspoons hot sauce
2 teaspoons Spike seasoning
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon dry
1/2 inch fresh ginger minced
1 clove garlic minced
Place thawed Match Meats in bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Use a spoon to mix well, being sure to incorporate the liquid and seasonings. Shape into about 4 patties. Heat oil on medium heat in pan and add burgers. Cook until each side is brown, about 10 minutes per side. You can drain on a paper towel.
Shitake Gravy
10 shitiake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thin
1 red onion sliced thin
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 clove garlic minced
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons hoison sauce
2 cups veggie stock
1/4 teaspoon Thai chili paste
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons agave nectar
2 teaspoons hot sauce

Add the oil to medium saute pan with mushrooms, garlic and onions. Let the mushrooms release
their juices. I like to cook my shitakes down to a nice carmelized level--takes about 15 minutes. More flavor this way. Next, I whisk the cornstarch and remaining ingredients together in a bowl.
Add this to your pan with the mushrooms, stirring constantly, let it come to a boil until the sauce begins to thicken. Turn down heat for a minute--your gravy should be ready! This will thicken while it sits, to keep it thin, add a drop or two of water.

Comments