Tomato Burnout


I'm sort of "over" the whole tomato thingy right now. Seriously. I have tons of green gobbers hanging around out there, some still turning, some just emerging. I read that you can pull the greenies and place them in a box in the basement, covered with newspaper and that they will be edible for several months--something I might try. Last weekend, my husband and I stopped at a local farm stand after we ran/walked and we bought a box of canning tomatoes--a pretty large box. It must have been my post-running high. What was I thinking!? I canned a batch of salsa last week--using habenaros, wearing rubber gloves because the literature said you can "burn your skin"--no thanks! Also, there is a Ball tomato canning book recipe that calls for, and I am not kidding, 45 lbs. of tomatoes! I'd have to pick up one of my dogs and compare this to the weight of the box to figure out the comparison before I attempt this. Then there are my precious green beans--I picked again yesterday. These guys don't quit easily. I prefer my lower growing bush beans to the Kentucky pole beans, personally--I hope I can remember this for next year.

Comments