The Good Burger

There has been a few challenges to overcome in bringing along some of those "other" foods that, let's say, have a fond place in my heart. Like, a good burger. Or like a good "mock" loaf. Well, and the brownies--still working on that, too. Back to burger-ness. Has the burger-mania with $25 and up price points settled down yet--stuffed, shrunk, smothered and smoked, to name a few--I think not. Sadly, what comes with this is not only un-vegan, and un-healthy, but the ever-growing demand of "more is more, so let's just try it one more way". For vegan burgers, I will say that the attempt the veggie culture has made at creating the perfect burger has been noble. However, these are not always able to keep their shape, or offer great texture (I've had my share of frozen veggie burgers--they work in a pinch). Certainly a little canola in a pan will crisp up anything (but I try not to given my propensity to gain whatever I eat turning into pounds--why I love to run!). I have an old, and I mean old, New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook. It offers an bevvy of 'natural' recipes--even a few loaf recipes. And, a burger or two: avocado, lentil, soy, soy and rice. Hmmmm. Well, jump to this week and my tight schedule. I am helping my good friends with their canines and felines. It's always a pleasure to do so. But I must drive a bit to get there--and it pinches my dinner-planning times. So, "quick", and "on the menu more than once for the week" was a must. Enter the cookbook and wonderful inspiration: You Won't Believe It's Vegan by Lacey Sher and Gail Doherty and the Earth Burger. Wow! We have had this honey for two dinner nights and lunch this week--dressed differently each time. I'm sharing my modified version of this recipe. It really, really worked well, tasted great, had wonderful texture, stood up to more cooking when I turned it into a BBQ burger and was just as yummy cold (an old eating habit, I know, it is so bad!). Accompanying the burgers on this menu were my all-time favorites: coleslaw and roasted garlic smashers--YUM!

The Good Burger
1 block of extra-firm tofu
1 onion chopped
3 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 cup carrots chopped
1/4 cup celery diced
1 cup oats (not steel cut)
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups brown rice (cooked)
1 cup bread crumbs (if you are using the stuff in the container, cut this to 3/4 cup)
2 tablespoons parsley (fresh is best)
2 teaspoons Spike or other seasoning
1 tablespoon white miso
3 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon of thyme, oregano, basil (if you have fresh, take two stems and chop up)

Start the rice. Preheat oven to 350. Line one 9 x 13 baking sheet with parchment paper. Prep with 2 cups water and 1 cup rice--follow package directions. Drain the tofu--press between paper towels. Saute the veggies in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Transfer this to a bowl. Then add pressed tofu to the bowl--plus remaining ingredients--including cooked rice. In a food processor, pulse all of the ingredients from the bowl--just until the mixture comes together--not too pasty or you will have "paste". Form into about 3 inch patties or whatever size you desire. I would say try to stay on the small side for baking time. Place burgers on baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, turning the tray during cooking. Let cool a bit. Then top with whatever you'd like!

The Good BBQ Burger

Take your leftover burgers and dress them in BBQ sauce. I just heated about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan and brushed the burgers with this cooked one side, then flipped and brushed the other side--all told, this takes about ten minutes. YUM!

Comments