The Mysterious Zucchini

The crazy thing about living in the Midwest is that you can count on one thing--hot summers. Well . . . not so fast while I eat my words after saying this (yesterday it barely made 80). The meals we eat in this house are drastically impacted by weather. So, a craving for comfort food kicked in when the rain showers began and a cool breeze ran through the house mid-afternoon. I am grateful for this turn of events in the middle of July--as I stated before, I am ready for long sleeves, hand knits, the first snow, the first frost and the first fire in the fireplace. However, I had work to do in the not-so-large-to-overwhelm veggie garden first. I walk my yard every morning--sometimes in PJs with coffee in hand (so as not to fall or trip in my mid-life, hard-to- wake-from-a-dead-sleep state). I looked down at my zucchini plant and noticed something I had not seen yesterday--a huge zucchini! Where did this come from--it was a blossom yesterday, or so it seemed. If you've never grown zucchini (I highly recommend you do) you will find it so easy, but plan a good space for them in the corner of your veggie plot--they like to show off with their huge fan-like leaves and creeping, almost bowl shaped spread. I looked more closely and saw peeking from under one of the leaves zuke number two--again, large and missed the day before. Hmmm. (Zuke plants are magical really--and the more you cut from them, the more zukes they produce--amazing, really). On the rest of the tour I plucked cucumbers, tomatoes--though, sadly, not as many as I'd like thanks to Bambi hitting me, peppers and tomatillos and picked a few herbs up, too. It was a great picking morning!

Comments